2005 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (236 reviews )
1st Car I've Loved
By dcowan on 12/01/04 18:05 PM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had a lot of cars that I've liked a lot - 1st Cutlass, 1st Toronado, 1st Jeep, 1st Aurora, 1st Lincoln LS, 1st Lexus SUV - this is the 1st car I thoroughly love. It is a "gadget" lover's dream. The power, the ride, the engineering are all superb.

RL after a month of driving
By malibuflyer on 12/01/04 15:54 PM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car has proved to be what I expected. Responsive, comfortable and quite. The sound system is great. The technology is fine but will still take a while to learn. At the start, it is distracting to use but i expect once I use it for awhile it will become second nature. I am quite disappointed with the lack of co-ordination between Acura, the cell phone manfuctures and service providers. At the moment I won't buy the only bluetooth phone offered by Verizon because of software glitches. Bluetooth was an important part of why I wanted this car. Acura needs to take the lead in co-ordinating the implementation of bluetooth. Just too many players with different agendas.

Love my 05 RL
By nebraskaguy on 12/01/04 08:15 AM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love nearly everything about this car. It's fun to drive and very comfortable on long drives. After a minor, but scary accident with my 99 RL (I spun out on a wet curve), I feel much safer with the SH-AWD. Even on dry curves, I can feel the difference in handling as the outside rear wheel kicks in extra power. The stereo and XM radio are awesome. In fact, the XM is so great I'm not sure I'll ever listen to CDs again in the car. The seat support is great - you're really held tight as you fly around curves (though some stockier people might find them too confining). Even though I fell in love with the styling the first time I saw it in person, it's not that exciting - I still love it!

Awesome Acura RL
By TexasKSU on 11/27/04 14:15 PM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had TL for three years. Very happy with it. Stopped by dealer on lark to see new RL, was blown away. Now own one. Most impressive technological device ever exposed to. Will take a while to learn all the things it does and will tell me. Outstanding design, performance, convienence, styling. Bose 5.1 Dolby sound is unbelievable. Car is extremely safe and drives like race car or limosine, your choice. So much more car for the money than it's piers that you almost don't mind paying sticker which is what they hold you to. Love the car and look forward to a road trip. Can't rave enough, you must check out this car before doing any other shopping.

WOW!!!!
By Cheapclock on 11/24/04 11:16 AM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

First of all, this is the third Acura I have purchased in three years. I love the overall value for your dollar that Acura offers in their vehicles, so this may sound more than a bit biased. My first Acura, now my Wife's, is a 2002 TL S-type. My second Acura, which I traded in for the 2005 RL, was a 2004 RL. So my review starts with the observation that the 2005 RL is the combination of everything that is great about my other Acura vehicles. They have combined the sportiness and responsiveness of the TL S-type with the comfort and stability of the old RL, and then applied a liberal dose of steroids. It is hands down the best, most fun to drive, technology packed, car I have ever driven

SH-AWD Problem
By jsato on 11/16/04 20:16 PM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've been waiting for this car for months. All the gadgets in the car work well. Fit and finish is excellent. With all the anticipation, I really want to love the car. I am pretty conservative, so the somewhat bland styling is okay with me. My friend thought I got the new Accord! The driving performance is big improvement over my older Acura. However, my car is in the shop right now getting the SH-AWD system worked on. All the warning lights lits up during the first week I had it. The rear tires felt very jerky. Let's hope it's an isolated incident and that they get it repaired. The TSX loaner is not even close.

Short, but oh so sweet...
By David Snyder on 11/15/04 11:58 AM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So far this car has been a dream...wonderful to drive, well crafted, attractive - inside and out, etc.

RL outshines each car in this segment
By readyformyRL on 11/13/04 17:34 PM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the RL for almost a month and the car is amazing, so many features and the ride is wonderful. The XM Radion/Nav, Bluetooth, Voice activated navigation, all are amazing, the ride comfort and quality are second to none. The car is smooth, strong, athletic and luxurious, the versatility is amazing especially with SH-AWD. I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

Great Car
By RxM on 11/13/04 14:37 PM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning an A6-2.7T for the past three years, I can say that the RL has surpasses the A6 in virtually every category. I was prepared to buy a new A6, but after comparing the luxury features of both, I went with the RL and haven't regretted it for a minute. (honestly I also had a tough time with the big nose on the Audi).

Good alternative to Lexus
By Bertrand 2 on 11/13/04 10:32 AM (PST)

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My other car is a 2004 Lexus LS430 which I like so much I thought of buying a second, until I drove the RL. RL is a little nicer inside (design), sportier (handles much better), and a little more high tech feeling. The Lexus is quieter (despite the active sound dampening) and quicker and more responsive below 3500 rpm (320 ft/lbs). The Acura feels much stronger in the 4500-6500 range and the engine really likes to rev (unlike the Lexus V8 that loves to high idle around town). Even stepping out of the smoothest quietest car on the road (the LS 430), the RL feels very smooth, slick, quiet & sporty all at the same time. For $49K, it is also a steal!