Used 2005 Acura RL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (237 reviews )

Keep this car in mind
By CJL

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Acura may have been easily overlooked in the past for the over conservative styling and mediocre performance when it came to a luxury sedan - no more! This car is packed with everything you could need - and then some. It could be a generational thing, but I'm 39 and found the technology smart, easy and fun to use. Well thought out and with so many ways to do things, you can pick your style - voice, direct or a combination of both. It really feels like a luxury sedan when you want it to be, but steps up to the plate for some fun, sporty driving when you need it to be. The technology, sound system (wow!), fit and finish will blow you away. Look out Lexus, Acura has come a knocking.

Keyless entry and starting. Small fob stays in my pocket or brief case all day and no fumbling when you get the car. One touch of the handle and the car is locked. Really like the voice activated systems and the sound system rivals any home theatre I have heard, including my own.

Transmission feels like it needs a sixth gear at times down long declines. Nice sized glove box but wish you could cool it off with AC. Retains heat on a hot day well after cabin is cool. Bottled water is hot! Backup sensors should be standard. I'm used to them on my other car and rely on them.

AWD vehicle but not a SUV.
By HenryW

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my car back in march after test driving numerous vehicles. The RL is by far dollar for dollar better than leading competitors.The only thing that still puzzles me is this rattling noise that comes either from the front brakes because of the mounting or underneath the body while going over cobble stone roads or just cracks on the road, but the SH-AWD is what sold me.

I like the real time traffic, voice recognition controls, blue tooth tech and SH-AWD.

I think this car needs a little more hp and some giddy-up off the red light. Rattling noise either from the brake mounting or loose bolts underneath the body. For that kinda price it there shouldnt be any defects like that.

RL 2005
By donna graham elliott

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove it twice; it is the second RL that I have purchased. That is because the first one was so reliable. I still have it. I have never owned two of the very same vehicle. I thought that did not make sense when people did that. Now I understand why.

The entire inside is the best. Its radio features, voice activation system, posh seats and amenities are just the beginning of what I know I will experience. I was a bit leary about purchasing again, but I plan to, with my family, have so much fun with it. Front cd system; what a relief and joy!

volume voice activation needed; mirrors on backs of front seats for passengers in the back (lighted, of course); softer shoulder seat belt straps; pull out tray under driver's front seat I would like to get recognition/credit for these ideas. You cannot go wrong, even though I will not have them

Great but not Perfect Car
By wmhipps

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my RL about 6 weeks. Love all the tech toys and no one seems to get ergonomics better. Usually too many bell's and whistles is a bad sign of a thrown together product, but this car is great. I got the 18" chrome wheels with blue exterior and I get lots of compliments.

keyless access and start-I find myself forgeting to pull out the keys when I drive my wifes car, XM radio, Onstar, Bluetooth, AWD (super handling is a corny name, but the idea is terrific).

Trunk too small, Voice recognition never gets words or letters right with the nav system. Almost useless and have to enter using the console knob all of the time. And I don't have a weird accent either. The computer pronounces Houston as Howston. Back to the computer drawing board...

I'm lovin' it
By richard m

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I use my RL for my short commute to work, and taking the family around the town, it's just terrific. It has every feature that I need, and a lot I will never use. The 6 cylinder engine puts out more than ample power. This is a great car and i would recommend it to anyone who can afford its steep price.

Standard navigation, standard sunroof/leather, standard side and rear sunshades, xenon headlamps

The wheels are nice, but could be a little flashier

• SUV