Used 2005 Acura RL Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura RL

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (237 reviews )

Dissapointed with my RL
By John H

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have purchased my last few cars (all used) and I've tried to move up with each purchase. I traded an Infiniti I35 and purchased this used RL (which had 16.7K miles on it). The car has been a pleasure to drive, but the amount of money that I have had to put into repairs has been a major disappointment. In the 16 months that I have owned the car I've had to replace the driver's side power mirror, a major repair to the air conditioner and replace one of the motors in the passenger's side seat. The total repairs cost $3,000 and the car has 50K miles on it. I've owned used Mazda's and Infinit's and never had these type of major repair issues. I am very disappointed in the RL's reliability

Interior comfort, keyless start, powerful and smooth ride, radio with Bose speaker system, good highway mileage, look of the car.

Improve the quality of the workmanship on the items I mentioned above, CD player should shuffle 6 discs, city gas mileage is not good

Great car but needs more quality control
By Fritz

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The SH-AWD is very fun to use around turns, but I doubt most people will ever push this car hard enough to experience it. When you go into turns you really just have to push it and let the computers take over which is a bit unnerving at first, but you can really feel it pivot as the car overdrives the outside wheels. The dash is controls are very easy to use and pretty intuitive and I love that everything can be done through the Navigation screen which is large, easy to read and sits high in the dashboard. My biggest complaint with this car are the rattles and creaks. That is a deal breaker for me, but fortunately it doesn't bother my wife who drives it.

The AWD system and how it affects handling, the paddle shifters, the easy to use dashboard controls, big Navigation screen high in the dashboard, the fact that the car tracks all reqr'd maintenance, handles pretty decent for a luxury car, the gas mileage and the sound system

The creaks and rattles which are in the rear deck, dash and b-pillar. It is prevalent enough the Acura dealership has a fixes for it. The slow shift response to the paddles, Acura customer service. The buttons on steering wheel have this weird surface wear. The suspension is a tad soft.

Dependable but boring
By Chris

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wish the Acura RL could use "real looking wood" like my 05 Acura TL did... it's so plastic looking. It is a great car though. Seems not as sporty as a car like a 5 series, but reliability is its strong suit. 80,000 miles on it and plan on keeping for long term... only issue is it is boring (true disclosure most cars after a while bore me:).

Navigation, XM, AWD (needed in RI), Window Shades, Headlights turning (cool factor)

V8

185k and still going strong
By Bob

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Ok so Ive had this car since 2005 and have taken it to hell and back. I drive it hard and floor it at least a couple times a day. I spend a ton of time in it and I don't think the drivers seat could be better. Also the audio system is great as is the whole interior. Issues To date: Both side mirrors wiggling (48k) Rear sunshade rattle (55k) HID Bulbs Replaced (110k) Replaced Bank 1 & 2 o2 sensors (140k) Other then that I've only done the scheduled maintenance as recommended by the maintenance minder system. I can honestly say I will definitely buy the new RL when it comes out I assume in 2011... I might just take this one to the 300000 mile mark!

Honda Reliability with very close to MB/BMW luxury/performance, Keyless entry/starting, Interior, Audio System, SH-AWD (WOW IT'S GREAT). There are too many things to list...

Exterior styling needs to set it apart from the pack a bit. Mine gets mistaken for a MB E class all the time... (not that it's a con).

A wise choice
By giorgichigo

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Drives like a Mercedes and has more features at a lower price point. It took me a while to adjust after years of driving BMWs but I have grown to appreciate this vehicle, its comfort and outstanding reliability.

smooth, comfortable, reliable