2005 Acura RL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (236 reviews )
Very Happy
By fargin on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One of the best cars I have owned and the Acura dealer is always nice. I have had Audi and Bmw and Acura is so much better overall in every category.

170 K miles and still running great
By ejet on 08/18/10 10:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have put 170K+ miles on my 05 RL so I can confidently say I know this car. Still looks new and draws attention. Front tie rods replaced twice, once under warranty. Two sets of brakes and on third set of tires. Front head light adjusting warning light has been on for the last 100K, can't be turned off and I am not paying to replace the head lights. A few minor electrical problems but that has been it. I runs like new. I have driven 12 hours staight, great seats, quite, comfortable and reliable. Not good in snow even with AWD. Buy four Blizzak snows if you drive in the white stuff. Dealership service has been A+. The BEST GPS system made on earth. Waiting for the 2011. Best car ever.

Great Cat
By paul4sure on 08/13/10 08:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car, had it for 2 years and no problems at all. I was looking at Lexus, as i had Es300 for 6 years when i went to school, but wanted something more sporty. G35x was another possibility, but it was too small for me. Car is very reliable and comfortable for long rides. This is the car you can take for skiing trip in the winter and feel safe during any weather. Its 5 years old now, but i still get compliments how nice it looks. Mine is blue metal, tinted. I drove my roommates Mercedes E550 many times, and RL is very similar to E550. It doesn't have as much toque but picks up speed as quickly as E550. Its a keeper for the comfort, AWD and BOSE system sounds great with XM by the way.

The Best car overall
By Kim on 08/05/10 12:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I searched for a luxury used car after my BMW 525 totaled by an accident. Acura rl was the answer. Its interior is beautiful and comfortable. I wasn't impressed by exterior first but it keeps growing on me. Navigation system is the best so far. My wife and baby daughter love back seat sunshades. It doesn't drive like a BMW but its awd really works. The cabin is Lexus- quiet and stereo sound is the best I ever heard. RL's unpopularity, price is more reasonable which was good for me. Unfortunately, fuel economy is pretty bad in city. For luxury used car for a price, rl just can't be beat. Last, I am happy with acura's reliability which I had suffered from BMW.

Dissapointed with my RL
By John H on 07/21/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have purchased my last few cars (all used) and I've tried to move up with each purchase. I traded an Infiniti I35 and purchased this used RL (which had 16.7K miles on it). The car has been a pleasure to drive, but the amount of money that I have had to put into repairs has been a major disappointment. In the 16 months that I have owned the car I've had to replace the driver's side power mirror, a major repair to the air conditioner and replace one of the motors in the passenger's side seat. The total repairs cost $3,000 and the car has 50K miles on it. I've owned used Mazda's and Infinit's and never had these type of major repair issues. I am very disappointed in the RL's reliability

Great car but needs more quality control
By Fritz on 02/15/10 07:34 AM (PST)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The SH-AWD is very fun to use around turns, but I doubt most people will ever push this car hard enough to experience it. When you go into turns you really just have to push it and let the computers take over which is a bit unnerving at first, but you can really feel it pivot as the car overdrives the outside wheels. The dash is controls are very easy to use and pretty intuitive and I love that everything can be done through the Navigation screen which is large, easy to read and sits high in the dashboard. My biggest complaint with this car are the rattles and creaks. That is a deal breaker for me, but fortunately it doesn't bother my wife who drives it.

Dependable but boring
By Chris on 11/14/09 04:53 AM (PST)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wish the Acura RL could use "real looking wood" like my 05 Acura TL did... it's so plastic looking. It is a great car though. Seems not as sporty as a car like a 5 series, but reliability is its strong suit. 80,000 miles on it and plan on keeping for long term... only issue is it is boring (true disclosure most cars after a while bore me:).

185k and still going strong
By Bob on 08/18/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Ok so Ive had this car since 2005 and have taken it to hell and back. I drive it hard and floor it at least a couple times a day. I spend a ton of time in it and I don't think the drivers seat could be better. Also the audio system is great as is the whole interior. Issues To date: Both side mirrors wiggling (48k) Rear sunshade rattle (55k) HID Bulbs Replaced (110k) Replaced Bank 1 & 2 o2 sensors (140k) Other then that I've only done the scheduled maintenance as recommended by the maintenance minder system. I can honestly say I will definitely buy the new RL when it comes out I assume in 2011... I might just take this one to the 300000 mile mark!

A wise choice
By giorgichigo on 07/26/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Drives like a Mercedes and has more features at a lower price point. It took me a while to adjust after years of driving BMWs but I have grown to appreciate this vehicle, its comfort and outstanding reliability.

They Keep Getting Better
By Gordon on 04/11/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This 2005 model replaced an earlier RL 3.5. It is roomier, faster, adds all wheel drive, adds all the electronics and voice commands you can imagine, the Bose 5 channel surround sound is the world's best. Nice car!