2005 Acura RL 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (236 reviews )

2005 RL Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Very Happy
By fargin

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One of the best cars I have owned and the Acura dealer is always nice. I have had Audi and Bmw and Acura is so much better overall in every category.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, 300hp, stereo, interior

Suggested Improvements

More low end power to the engine.

170 K miles and still running great
By ejet

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have put 170K+ miles on my 05 RL so I can confidently say I know this car. Still looks new and draws attention. Front tie rods replaced twice, once under warranty. Two sets of brakes and on third set of tires. Front head light adjusting warning light has been on for the last 100K, can't be turned off and I am not paying to replace the head lights. A few minor electrical problems but that has been it. I runs like new. I have driven 12 hours staight, great seats, quite, comfortable and reliable. Not good in snow even with AWD. Buy four Blizzak snows if you drive in the white stuff. Dealership service has been A+. The BEST GPS system made on earth. Waiting for the 2011. Best car ever.

Favorite Features

Five years old and still one the best looking cars on the road. But the best feature is the GPS. Easy to program on the fly, accurate 99% of the time. I also have a 2009 Mercedes and their GPS is a joke compared to Acura's. Good dealership, always a free loaner car, work always done right.

Suggested Improvements

Xenon headlights tend to flicker until they are warmed up. Back seat is small. After 170,000 miles thats all have to complain about. I have to buy a new car soon, let's see if the 2011 can outdo itself.

Great Cat
By paul4sure

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car, had it for 2 years and no problems at all. I was looking at Lexus, as i had Es300 for 6 years when i went to school, but wanted something more sporty. G35x was another possibility, but it was too small for me. Car is very reliable and comfortable for long rides. This is the car you can take for skiing trip in the winter and feel safe during any weather. Its 5 years old now, but i still get compliments how nice it looks. Mine is blue metal, tinted. I drove my roommates Mercedes E550 many times, and RL is very similar to E550. It doesn't have as much toque but picks up speed as quickly as E550. Its a keeper for the comfort, AWD and BOSE system sounds great with XM by the way.

Favorite Features

It's fast, sexy and very luxurious.

Suggested Improvements

I would love to see ventilated seats just like on E550.

The Best car overall
By Kim

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I searched for a luxury used car after my BMW 525 totaled by an accident. Acura rl was the answer. Its interior is beautiful and comfortable. I wasn't impressed by exterior first but it keeps growing on me. Navigation system is the best so far. My wife and baby daughter love back seat sunshades. It doesn't drive like a BMW but its awd really works. The cabin is Lexus- quiet and stereo sound is the best I ever heard. RL's unpopularity, price is more reasonable which was good for me. Unfortunately, fuel economy is pretty bad in city. For luxury used car for a price, rl just can't be beat. Last, I am happy with acura's reliability which I had suffered from BMW.

Favorite Features

Stereo and navigation are super nice. Beautiful interior and all the interior lights are cool at night. SH- AWD. Sunshade for back seat. Quiet cabin. Engine power. Not too firm, not too soft ride. Acura reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Improve exterior design. It's not bad at all but to compete with other luxury brands, it needs better look. With simply better exterior, rl will sell much better than now. More gears and better combination between the engine and transmission. I feel this car should be way better with its specs.

Dissapointed with my RL
By John H

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have purchased my last few cars (all used) and I've tried to move up with each purchase. I traded an Infiniti I35 and purchased this used RL (which had 16.7K miles on it). The car has been a pleasure to drive, but the amount of money that I have had to put into repairs has been a major disappointment. In the 16 months that I have owned the car I've had to replace the driver's side power mirror, a major repair to the air conditioner and replace one of the motors in the passenger's side seat. The total repairs cost $3,000 and the car has 50K miles on it. I've owned used Mazda's and Infinit's and never had these type of major repair issues. I am very disappointed in the RL's reliability

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, keyless start, powerful and smooth ride, radio with Bose speaker system, good highway mileage, look of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the workmanship on the items I mentioned above, CD player should shuffle 6 discs, city gas mileage is not good

Great car but needs more quality control
By Fritz

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The SH-AWD is very fun to use around turns, but I doubt most people will ever push this car hard enough to experience it. When you go into turns you really just have to push it and let the computers take over which is a bit unnerving at first, but you can really feel it pivot as the car overdrives the outside wheels. The dash is controls are very easy to use and pretty intuitive and I love that everything can be done through the Navigation screen which is large, easy to read and sits high in the dashboard. My biggest complaint with this car are the rattles and creaks. That is a deal breaker for me, but fortunately it doesn't bother my wife who drives it.

Favorite Features

The AWD system and how it affects handling, the paddle shifters, the easy to use dashboard controls, big Navigation screen high in the dashboard, the fact that the car tracks all reqr'd maintenance, handles pretty decent for a luxury car, the gas mileage and the sound system

Suggested Improvements

The creaks and rattles which are in the rear deck, dash and b-pillar. It is prevalent enough the Acura dealership has a fixes for it. The slow shift response to the paddles, Acura customer service. The buttons on steering wheel have this weird surface wear. The suspension is a tad soft.

Dependable but boring
By Chris

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wish the Acura RL could use "real looking wood" like my 05 Acura TL did... it's so plastic looking. It is a great car though. Seems not as sporty as a car like a 5 series, but reliability is its strong suit. 80,000 miles on it and plan on keeping for long term... only issue is it is boring (true disclosure most cars after a while bore me:).

Favorite Features

Navigation, XM, AWD (needed in RI), Window Shades, Headlights turning (cool factor)

Suggested Improvements

V8

185k and still going strong
By Bob

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Ok so Ive had this car since 2005 and have taken it to hell and back. I drive it hard and floor it at least a couple times a day. I spend a ton of time in it and I don't think the drivers seat could be better. Also the audio system is great as is the whole interior. Issues To date: Both side mirrors wiggling (48k) Rear sunshade rattle (55k) HID Bulbs Replaced (110k) Replaced Bank 1 & 2 o2 sensors (140k) Other then that I've only done the scheduled maintenance as recommended by the maintenance minder system. I can honestly say I will definitely buy the new RL when it comes out I assume in 2011... I might just take this one to the 300000 mile mark!

Favorite Features

Honda Reliability with very close to MB/BMW luxury/performance, Keyless entry/starting, Interior, Audio System, SH-AWD (WOW IT'S GREAT). There are too many things to list...

Suggested Improvements

Exterior styling needs to set it apart from the pack a bit. Mine gets mistaken for a MB E class all the time... (not that it's a con).

A wise choice
By giorgichigo

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Drives like a Mercedes and has more features at a lower price point. It took me a while to adjust after years of driving BMWs but I have grown to appreciate this vehicle, its comfort and outstanding reliability.

Favorite Features

smooth, comfortable, reliable

Suggested Improvements

Tighter steering, please.

They Keep Getting Better
By Gordon

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This 2005 model replaced an earlier RL 3.5. It is roomier, faster, adds all wheel drive, adds all the electronics and voice commands you can imagine, the Bose 5 channel surround sound is the world's best. Nice car!

Favorite Features

300 HP is better than the previous 200, handling is great, stereo is great!

Suggested Improvements

Cabin noise may be a little higher than previous model?