Used 2005 Acura RL Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (237 reviews )

A hidden gem.
By D del

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded an 05 Lexus GS300 for this car. I found the GS extremely comfortable, quiet, and with solid build quality. But I wouldn't go back to that because it was just a bore to drive.

Now to the RL. I could care less that this looks or is often mistaken for a Honda Accord. I'll readily admit Acura doesn't have the prestige factor of a Lexus or Audi, both of which I've owned. It's not why I buy cars. The RL is really a hidden gem, a sleeper of sorts. It might not look special, it might not be the fastest, most luxurious nor the best driving car.

It ccomplishes what I both need and desire in a car - AWD (sh-awd is no gimic, this system should be the AWD standard. I've owned a few Audi's and while Quattro is great in its own right especially in snow, Honda has something great in SH-AWD), reliability, sportier driving dynamics, luxury features, decent style in/out (nothing flashy, not overstyled, something that will age well, which conservative styling typically achieves) And honestly, I think it's a great looking car.

There are a couple things I'd change which I know Acura has in newer models. The 5 speed tranny is slow to shift in manual mode. It also seems more geared toward fuel economy over sport, which I'd get but the fuel economy isn't the greatest. There are bigger cars with V8's that get better mileage. I don't like that I have to switch to a different menu to control the climate. The voice commands are helpful but not always practical (like if a passenger is trying to sleep)

Very Happy
By fargin

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One of the best cars I have owned and the Acura dealer is always nice. I have had Audi and Bmw and Acura is so much better overall in every category.

All wheel drive, 300hp, stereo, interior

More low end power to the engine.

170 K miles and still running great
By ejet

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have put 170K+ miles on my 05 RL so I can confidently say I know this car. Still looks new and draws attention. Front tie rods replaced twice, once under warranty. Two sets of brakes and on third set of tires. Front head light adjusting warning light has been on for the last 100K, can't be turned off and I am not paying to replace the head lights. A few minor electrical problems but that has been it. I runs like new. I have driven 12 hours staight, great seats, quite, comfortable and reliable. Not good in snow even with AWD. Buy four Blizzak snows if you drive in the white stuff. Dealership service has been A+. The BEST GPS system made on earth. Waiting for the 2011. Best car ever.

Five years old and still one the best looking cars on the road. But the best feature is the GPS. Easy to program on the fly, accurate 99% of the time. I also have a 2009 Mercedes and their GPS is a joke compared to Acura's. Good dealership, always a free loaner car, work always done right.

Xenon headlights tend to flicker until they are warmed up. Back seat is small. After 170,000 miles thats all have to complain about. I have to buy a new car soon, let's see if the 2011 can outdo itself.

Great Cat
By paul4sure

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car, had it for 2 years and no problems at all. I was looking at Lexus, as i had Es300 for 6 years when i went to school, but wanted something more sporty. G35x was another possibility, but it was too small for me. Car is very reliable and comfortable for long rides. This is the car you can take for skiing trip in the winter and feel safe during any weather. Its 5 years old now, but i still get compliments how nice it looks. Mine is blue metal, tinted. I drove my roommates Mercedes E550 many times, and RL is very similar to E550. It doesn't have as much toque but picks up speed as quickly as E550. Its a keeper for the comfort, AWD and BOSE system sounds great with XM by the way.

It's fast, sexy and very luxurious.

I would love to see ventilated seats just like on E550.

The Best car overall
By Kim

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I searched for a luxury used car after my BMW 525 totaled by an accident. Acura rl was the answer. Its interior is beautiful and comfortable. I wasn't impressed by exterior first but it keeps growing on me. Navigation system is the best so far. My wife and baby daughter love back seat sunshades. It doesn't drive like a BMW but its awd really works. The cabin is Lexus- quiet and stereo sound is the best I ever heard. RL's unpopularity, price is more reasonable which was good for me. Unfortunately, fuel economy is pretty bad in city. For luxury used car for a price, rl just can't be beat. Last, I am happy with acura's reliability which I had suffered from BMW.

Stereo and navigation are super nice. Beautiful interior and all the interior lights are cool at night. SH- AWD. Sunshade for back seat. Quiet cabin. Engine power. Not too firm, not too soft ride. Acura reliability.

Improve exterior design. It's not bad at all but to compete with other luxury brands, it needs better look. With simply better exterior, rl will sell much better than now. More gears and better combination between the engine and transmission. I feel this car should be way better with its specs.