Used 2004 Acura RL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

2004 Acura RL Sedan

3.5 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (76 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Great car
By Arnold Tesh

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This automobile is exactly what you would expect when you talk luxury and comfort. Since I bought this car, I hate to fly--even first class.

Favorite Features

Quality, Quality, Quality along with comfort and performance.

Suggested Improvements

lower octane rquirement

Zero Problems
By Michael

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Acura: Integra, Legend, RL, TL, & RL. All of them have been problem-free. Nothing seriously has ever gone wrong: One driving light and one horn in all these years. The ride and comfort of the RL is outstanding. I get much better mileage than reported here, circa 24/27. Yeah, parts are expensive, but if nothing ever goes wrong, who cares? They're not much to look at, but I spend my time driving it, not looking at it. If you can get one of these used, go for it. You won't be disappointed. Mine has 80K miles and it is like new.

Favorite Features

interior as a whole, GPS, smooth ride, VERY smooth transmission

Suggested Improvements

None to speak of.

Perfect sedan for the Money
By jasonwipf

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Perfect Used sedan for the money. Why spend 40-70k for luxury sedans when you can get a 2004 Acura for 10-13K??? They changed the styling in 2005 and its completely different. The newer ones are sporty and pre-2005 they are luxury. I have owned 2 so far they are that great. my 1998 RL I ran to 265,000 before giving to my sister inlaw who is still running it today. And my 2004 I picked up with 88K and know it will go easily to 300K miles. thats over 200,000 of luxury car for only $14K (thats on the high side for buying it in 2012 but it was a cherry! and worth every penny).

Favorite Features

Comfortable drive. I put 25,000,-50,000 miles on a car in a year. I abuse my cars and the 98-04 RLs will always come back smiling for more. Any maintenance or repairs are cheap compared to other luxury brands. I'd rate part prices a 4-6 (offbrand vs. OEM) on a 10 scale in my opinion with most luxury brand parts costing 7-10 on that same scale. (I pull my hair out with my Benz)

Suggested Improvements

I just hoped Acura brings the luxury RLs back some time soon.

Good basic reliable luxury car
By Harriet Voloso

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

recently bought a 2004 acura rl sedan. paid 9990.00 before tax and lic. Blue book on this car is about 7500.00. So i paid more than i should have at the dealership. But 2004 acura rl are scarce in southern california at this time. So i sense that many people that have accords and older RLs are grabbing these 2004 one owner acura rl up. this RL is a one owner 18 service record car. Had all major service done on it. Including timing and water pump. if you are familar with hondas and acuras you will be right at home with this car. California car with no accidents on the carfax. very nice driving car very smooth. Not a lot of power but can hold its own. grab one if you can find one.

Favorite Features

everything is heavy duty and long lasting. materials are first rate. speakers and stereo system is strong paint is holding up well. simple design compared to a 2005 and up rl model. everything works on this car very rare for a 10 year old car. also bought a 2001 lexus gs430 at about the same time and even though its smoother than the RL. Some of the lexus gs430 parts have not held up as well. Needs struts/speakers and steering wheel work. both cars have about the same mileage on them. About 93000 miles. But in all fairness i paid 8300.00 for the gs430 an 9990.00 for the acura rl.

Suggested Improvements

little more power. 225hp isn't going to cut it with a 4000+ weight car. nav system is crude compared to my 2001 lexus gs430 system. better gas mileage. Gets the same gas mileage as my lexus gs430 v-8.

Classy, conservative, luxury Acura 3.5 RL
By Mike

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased the 2004 Acura 3.5 RL and I love it! It has a very smooth ride and all the luxury features you could want including an awesome sounding 10 speaker Bose system, Alpine/Acura navigation system, and real burled camphor wood interior. I bought the car with 80,000 miles on it and didn't think twice. I am a Honda man and know this car will be very reliable. I have already put 4,000 miles on it and it runs like a car with 10,000 miles on it. Previously, I have owned 3 Accords. I wanted something more luxurious and bigger... this car is perfect! I love the Acura's classy, conservative stance that remains tasteful and luxurious looking. The RL has more than adequate power.

Favorite Features

Navigation-voice activated, Bose 10 speaker stereo, 6 disc in dash changer, burled camphor wood, comfortable ride, conservative and classy appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Some more horsepower under the hood, although I do not need any more speeding tickets! (Car has more than adequate power.) It's awkward to make a full turn of the ignition switch, but who cares. Wish Acura kept a big body styled car for 2005 and up (new RL is smaller. I would still buy one if I had $50,000).