Used 2004 Acura RL 3.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (76 reviews )

Great used value
By Former MB Owner

2004 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Love the car. I have a fairly long commute and am quite pleased with the low-mileage 04 RL that I bought this fall. Some say the Acura has "no soul." Nonsense. If "no soul" means "car stays out of the shop" then I'll take it. Steady 21 MPG in mixed driving. Reliable as the day is long. Not the most exciting car I've owned but quiet, comfortable and a great value. Build quality is exceptional - tight, and all seams and panel gaps are very well done. Car mags hated this car new, suppose it wasn't such a great value at $40K+ brand new, but in the used market its a great value.

Heated seats, quiet interior. Controls very easy to find and used, no mysteries. Huge trunk. Very comfortable, relaxing cruise. Reliable and economical.

Bluetooth for cell phone would be nice. Optional charcoal wood trim on center console (my car has this option) turns a strange dark green color with sun exposure. 5-speed auto should have been available, even in '04.

Zero Problems
By Michael

2004 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Acura: Integra, Legend, RL, TL, & RL. All of them have been problem-free. Nothing seriously has ever gone wrong: One driving light and one horn in all these years. The ride and comfort of the RL is outstanding. I get much better mileage than reported here, circa 24/27. Yeah, parts are expensive, but if nothing ever goes wrong, who cares? They're not much to look at, but I spend my time driving it, not looking at it. If you can get one of these used, go for it. You won't be disappointed. Mine has 80K miles and it is like new.

interior as a whole, GPS, smooth ride, VERY smooth transmission

None to speak of.

I Always Loved Acura's
By Trini-34

2004 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Acura (I had 3 Legend and a 2000 RL). The Acura RL 2004 is an awesome car, the interior finish is beautiful. I enjoy using the voice activated Nav, OnStar, etc. The gas mileage is a little poor (compared to my 94 Acura legend GS model) but I can live with it. The smooth ride and reliability is a comfort. I think it has enough power for me 0 to 60 in 6.5 sec. The sound system is great. 6-disc in-dash CD player. Not a fashionable car but I am satisfied.

voice activated Nav, XM-radio, OnStar, heated seats, 6-in dash cd changer, interior finish, trunk room, head- lights, dimming rear view mirror, etc...

Better gas mileage, more room between the door and the seat when the door is closed for adjustment, a little more power would not hurt, should be able to view time when car is off, like the Legends. All in all, I loved the car.

Still great after all these years
By Ralph

2004 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since 2004 this has been "steady eddie" for me. I am going to buy it off of lease because it has served me well for four years and I expect it to for many more.

Handling and all the tech and luxury extras. Also everything was standard including the navigation system.

Not enough room for back seat passengers. Wish Acura kept the styling the same on newer versions.

Classy, conservative, luxury Acura 3.5 RL
By Mike

2004 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased the 2004 Acura 3.5 RL and I love it! It has a very smooth ride and all the luxury features you could want including an awesome sounding 10 speaker Bose system, Alpine/Acura navigation system, and real burled camphor wood interior. I bought the car with 80,000 miles on it and didn't think twice. I am a Honda man and know this car will be very reliable. I have already put 4,000 miles on it and it runs like a car with 10,000 miles on it. Previously, I have owned 3 Accords. I wanted something more luxurious and bigger... this car is perfect! I love the Acura's classy, conservative stance that remains tasteful and luxurious looking. The RL has more than adequate power.

Navigation-voice activated, Bose 10 speaker stereo, 6 disc in dash changer, burled camphor wood, comfortable ride, conservative and classy appearance.

Some more horsepower under the hood, although I do not need any more speeding tickets! (Car has more than adequate power.) It's awkward to make a full turn of the ignition switch, but who cares. Wish Acura kept a big body styled car for 2005 and up (new RL is smaller. I would still buy one if I had $50,000).