Used 2004 Acura RL 3.5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

2004 Acura RL Sedan

3.5 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (76 reviews )

Good basic reliable luxury car
By Harriet Voloso

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

recently bought a 2004 acura rl sedan. paid 9990.00 before tax and lic. Blue book on this car is about 7500.00. So i paid more than i should have at the dealership. But 2004 acura rl are scarce in southern california at this time. So i sense that many people that have accords and older RLs are grabbing these 2004 one owner acura rl up. this RL is a one owner 18 service record car. Had all major service done on it. Including timing and water pump. if you are familar with hondas and acuras you will be right at home with this car. California car with no accidents on the carfax. very nice driving car very smooth. Not a lot of power but can hold its own. grab one if you can find one.

Favorite Features

everything is heavy duty and long lasting. materials are first rate. speakers and stereo system is strong paint is holding up well. simple design compared to a 2005 and up rl model. everything works on this car very rare for a 10 year old car. also bought a 2001 lexus gs430 at about the same time and even though its smoother than the RL. Some of the lexus gs430 parts have not held up as well. Needs struts/speakers and steering wheel work. both cars have about the same mileage on them. About 93000 miles. But in all fairness i paid 8300.00 for the gs430 an 9990.00 for the acura rl.

Suggested Improvements

little more power. 225hp isn't going to cut it with a 4000+ weight car. nav system is crude compared to my 2001 lexus gs430 system. better gas mileage. Gets the same gas mileage as my lexus gs430 v-8.

Fun car to drive packed with luxury (04 RL)
By mike900

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car more than two years ago with 78000 miles on it. I've put more than 13000 miles on my 04 RL and there's absolutely zero issue! So you can see the reliability of this car. I only changed the air filter myself, one of the headlight hit its lifetime I did it myself too. It is easy to DIY with these common consumables. This generation of RL is the last of the honda legend. It kinds of combines the luxury and sporty driving experience. The horsepower of the engine is not really impressive giving the weight of the car is like an mid size SUV. But the acceleration is pretty good. I live in midwest and the front wheel drive has good traction in the winter too. mpg is crappy..

Favorite Features

Reliability and safe Quiet and stable highway driving Sporty suspension roomy backseat huge trunk Bose Audio

Perfect sedan for the Money
By jasonwipf

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Perfect Used sedan for the money. Why spend 40-70k for luxury sedans when you can get a 2004 Acura for 10-13K??? They changed the styling in 2005 and its completely different. The newer ones are sporty and pre-2005 they are luxury. I have owned 2 so far they are that great. my 1998 RL I ran to 265,000 before giving to my sister inlaw who is still running it today. And my 2004 I picked up with 88K and know it will go easily to 300K miles. thats over 200,000 of luxury car for only $14K (thats on the high side for buying it in 2012 but it was a cherry! and worth every penny).

Favorite Features

Comfortable drive. I put 25,000,-50,000 miles on a car in a year. I abuse my cars and the 98-04 RLs will always come back smiling for more. Any maintenance or repairs are cheap compared to other luxury brands. I'd rate part prices a 4-6 (offbrand vs. OEM) on a 10 scale in my opinion with most luxury brand parts costing 7-10 on that same scale. (I pull my hair out with my Benz)

Suggested Improvements

I just hoped Acura brings the luxury RLs back some time soon.

Just Love the RL
By jasminebree

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought my 4th RL. This was a 1 owner with 60,000 miles and it is just like new. The Navigation works great, the power lumbar support is phenomenal, moving the CD's to a more accessible location helps...

Favorite Features

Moving the CD changer to the cabin.

Suggested Improvements

It could use some help with acceleration and better gas mileage...

Very Impressed
By AJ-1

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased the Acura RL about a month ago, with 75,500 miles and one owner. I have to say it has a very smooth ride, I knew I wanted to buy it when I first sat in the drivers seat. I knew about the quality and reliability of Acuras and that #1 reason for purchasing a car that was 6 years old. I hope to get 200,000 miles out of this one. Everything that I have read about leaves me feeling confident about my choice. The navigation system works well and the XM satellite radio with the Bose Speaker system sounds incredible. The only complaints that I have is the acceleration is a little lazy, and the fuel economy isn't great. However my last vehicle was a 4 cylinder accord.

Favorite Features

Bose system with XM radio.

Suggested Improvements

A little more horsepower, and better gas mileage.