2004 Acura RL 3.5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

2004 RL Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (76 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Good basic reliable luxury car
By Harriet Voloso

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

recently bought a 2004 acura rl sedan. paid 9990.00 before tax and lic. Blue book on this car is about 7500.00. So i paid more than i should have at the dealership. But 2004 acura rl are scarce in southern california at this time. So i sense that many people that have accords and older RLs are grabbing these 2004 one owner acura rl up. this RL is a one owner 18 service record car. Had all major service done on it. Including timing and water pump. if you are familar with hondas and acuras you will be right at home with this car. California car with no accidents on the carfax. very nice driving car very smooth. Not a lot of power but can hold its own. grab one if you can find one.

Favorite Features

everything is heavy duty and long lasting. materials are first rate. speakers and stereo system is strong paint is holding up well. simple design compared to a 2005 and up rl model. everything works on this car very rare for a 10 year old car. also bought a 2001 lexus gs430 at about the same time and even though its smoother than the RL. Some of the lexus gs430 parts have not held up as well. Needs struts/speakers and steering wheel work. both cars have about the same mileage on them. About 93000 miles. But in all fairness i paid 8300.00 for the gs430 an 9990.00 for the acura rl.

Suggested Improvements

little more power. 225hp isn't going to cut it with a 4000+ weight car. nav system is crude compared to my 2001 lexus gs430 system. better gas mileage. Gets the same gas mileage as my lexus gs430 v-8.

Fun car to drive packed with luxury (04 RL)
By mike900

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car more than two years ago with 78000 miles on it. I've put more than 13000 miles on my 04 RL and there's absolutely zero issue! So you can see the reliability of this car. I only changed the air filter myself, one of the headlight hit its lifetime I did it myself too. It is easy to DIY with these common consumables. This generation of RL is the last of the honda legend. It kinds of combines the luxury and sporty driving experience. The horsepower of the engine is not really impressive giving the weight of the car is like an mid size SUV. But the acceleration is pretty good. I live in midwest and the front wheel drive has good traction in the winter too. mpg is crappy..

Favorite Features

Reliability and safe Quiet and stable highway driving Sporty suspension roomy backseat huge trunk Bose Audio

Perfect sedan for the Money
By jasonwipf

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Perfect Used sedan for the money. Why spend 40-70k for luxury sedans when you can get a 2004 Acura for 10-13K??? They changed the styling in 2005 and its completely different. The newer ones are sporty and pre-2005 they are luxury. I have owned 2 so far they are that great. my 1998 RL I ran to 265,000 before giving to my sister inlaw who is still running it today. And my 2004 I picked up with 88K and know it will go easily to 300K miles. thats over 200,000 of luxury car for only $14K (thats on the high side for buying it in 2012 but it was a cherry! and worth every penny).

Favorite Features

Comfortable drive. I put 25,000,-50,000 miles on a car in a year. I abuse my cars and the 98-04 RLs will always come back smiling for more. Any maintenance or repairs are cheap compared to other luxury brands. I'd rate part prices a 4-6 (offbrand vs. OEM) on a 10 scale in my opinion with most luxury brand parts costing 7-10 on that same scale. (I pull my hair out with my Benz)

Suggested Improvements

I just hoped Acura brings the luxury RLs back some time soon.

Just Love the RL
By jasminebree

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought my 4th RL. This was a 1 owner with 60,000 miles and it is just like new. The Navigation works great, the power lumbar support is phenomenal, moving the CD's to a more accessible location helps...

Favorite Features

Moving the CD changer to the cabin.

Suggested Improvements

It could use some help with acceleration and better gas mileage...

Very Impressed
By AJ-1

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased the Acura RL about a month ago, with 75,500 miles and one owner. I have to say it has a very smooth ride, I knew I wanted to buy it when I first sat in the drivers seat. I knew about the quality and reliability of Acuras and that #1 reason for purchasing a car that was 6 years old. I hope to get 200,000 miles out of this one. Everything that I have read about leaves me feeling confident about my choice. The navigation system works well and the XM satellite radio with the Bose Speaker system sounds incredible. The only complaints that I have is the acceleration is a little lazy, and the fuel economy isn't great. However my last vehicle was a 4 cylinder accord.

Favorite Features

Bose system with XM radio.

Suggested Improvements

A little more horsepower, and better gas mileage.

Great used value
By Former MB Owner

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Love the car. I have a fairly long commute and am quite pleased with the low-mileage 04 RL that I bought this fall. Some say the Acura has "no soul." Nonsense. If "no soul" means "car stays out of the shop" then I'll take it. Steady 21 MPG in mixed driving. Reliable as the day is long. Not the most exciting car I've owned but quiet, comfortable and a great value. Build quality is exceptional - tight, and all seams and panel gaps are very well done. Car mags hated this car new, suppose it wasn't such a great value at $40K+ brand new, but in the used market its a great value.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, quiet interior. Controls very easy to find and used, no mysteries. Huge trunk. Very comfortable, relaxing cruise. Reliable and economical.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth for cell phone would be nice. Optional charcoal wood trim on center console (my car has this option) turns a strange dark green color with sun exposure. 5-speed auto should have been available, even in '04.

Zero Problems
By Michael

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Acura: Integra, Legend, RL, TL, & RL. All of them have been problem-free. Nothing seriously has ever gone wrong: One driving light and one horn in all these years. The ride and comfort of the RL is outstanding. I get much better mileage than reported here, circa 24/27. Yeah, parts are expensive, but if nothing ever goes wrong, who cares? They're not much to look at, but I spend my time driving it, not looking at it. If you can get one of these used, go for it. You won't be disappointed. Mine has 80K miles and it is like new.

Favorite Features

interior as a whole, GPS, smooth ride, VERY smooth transmission

Suggested Improvements

None to speak of.

I Always Loved Acura's
By Trini-34

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Acura (I had 3 Legend and a 2000 RL). The Acura RL 2004 is an awesome car, the interior finish is beautiful. I enjoy using the voice activated Nav, OnStar, etc. The gas mileage is a little poor (compared to my 94 Acura legend GS model) but I can live with it. The smooth ride and reliability is a comfort. I think it has enough power for me 0 to 60 in 6.5 sec. The sound system is great. 6-disc in-dash CD player. Not a fashionable car but I am satisfied.

Favorite Features

voice activated Nav, XM-radio, OnStar, heated seats, 6-in dash cd changer, interior finish, trunk room, head- lights, dimming rear view mirror, etc...

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, more room between the door and the seat when the door is closed for adjustment, a little more power would not hurt, should be able to view time when car is off, like the Legends. All in all, I loved the car.

Still great after all these years
By Ralph

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since 2004 this has been "steady eddie" for me. I am going to buy it off of lease because it has served me well for four years and I expect it to for many more.

Favorite Features

Handling and all the tech and luxury extras. Also everything was standard including the navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough room for back seat passengers. Wish Acura kept the styling the same on newer versions.

Classy, conservative, luxury Acura 3.5 RL
By Mike

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased the 2004 Acura 3.5 RL and I love it! It has a very smooth ride and all the luxury features you could want including an awesome sounding 10 speaker Bose system, Alpine/Acura navigation system, and real burled camphor wood interior. I bought the car with 80,000 miles on it and didn't think twice. I am a Honda man and know this car will be very reliable. I have already put 4,000 miles on it and it runs like a car with 10,000 miles on it. Previously, I have owned 3 Accords. I wanted something more luxurious and bigger... this car is perfect! I love the Acura's classy, conservative stance that remains tasteful and luxurious looking. The RL has more than adequate power.

Favorite Features

Navigation-voice activated, Bose 10 speaker stereo, 6 disc in dash changer, burled camphor wood, comfortable ride, conservative and classy appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Some more horsepower under the hood, although I do not need any more speeding tickets! (Car has more than adequate power.) It's awkward to make a full turn of the ignition switch, but who cares. Wish Acura kept a big body styled car for 2005 and up (new RL is smaller. I would still buy one if I had $50,000).