2002 Acura RL Consumer Review: Nothing comes close for the pr

2002 Acura RL - Consumer Review

3.5 Sedan (3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Nothing comes close for the price
By Satire on

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my fifth Honda product (just gave up a 99 TL, had a 97 CL, 93 Accord Coupe & a 1985 Accord hatchback). Couldn't make up my mind between the RL, TL Type-S or wait for months for an MDX. Looked at several others. Got mine (w/o navi) for $35,500. The smoothness & the handling is surprisingly better than expected. Price & value won out. But am disappointed in a few things (see below). I must bring this up now as it's the most amazingly stupid thing I've ever seen......just what the heck is this push the close button twice on the sunroof thing all about?!?!? Love the one touch open but not the hold, release & hold again to get it fully closed. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Favorite Features

Interior quality, smooth engine/transmission (not sure my "grade logic"is working correctly) and the fact it drives like a very large sedan that just happens to handle like a sports sedan. Acura says the RL has slightly less interior volume than the TL but it doesn't seem that way at all.

Suggested Improvements

Remove ashtray and put in storage/power outlet like the TL. Can't reach the driver's seat controls w/door closed. Delete the "auto" headlights and use the same system as the TL. No dual zone climate nor in-dash CD changer. No CD storage inside the cabin. Higher quality paint job.