2002 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:
Honda with leather seats
By aa1234aa on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

A fair price for a 2002 RL is about $27K. Power is too low for weight, engine is noisy & sounds cheap. The Bose stereo has 4 speakers and no CD player (slot) in dash (trunck CD changed), and won't scramble songs! Door speakers intrude into the small door map pockets. There is almost nil storage room in the cabin. There is no compass, windows don't retract with the key switch for ventilation, there is little rear leg room, rear seats don't recline or fold down, trunk hinges are luggage crushers out of Accord, there is no trunk organizer, there is no alarm system, & orange-peel paint job. I sure feel like a fool because I got one.

Luxury and Value
By bfisch on 06/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is superb. I look forward to driving it because of the comfort, excellent ride, and sense of safety and reliability. On one slippery occasion the vehicle stability assist system kicked in and almost wrenched the steering wheel out of my hands while simultaneously taking control of the brakes to keep the car stable and going in the desired direction. Amazing! Everything works as designed. Like some other, I had low gas mileage but then adjusted tire pressure and am now getting 22-24 MPG on a regular basis. Not as many bells and whistles as Lexus or Audi, but less pricely.

Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By Mr. R.J. H., CISSP on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many many cars during my lifetime and the Acura RL is by far the best ever. Lexus, BMW, Audi, and any American Luxury Car cannot compare with the Acura RL. I will be an RL owner for life. The price is right and the car is an excellent value for the money. The RL is comfortable on long trips, handles very well in all types of weather, and not bad to look at. In addition, maintenance cost are low.

Perfect!
By rtom on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I have had our 02 RL for almost a year. It's so fun to drive because it clearly turns heads (ours is black). Some reviews talk about its "boring, conservative styling", but we love everything about this car's styling! It's a true joy to drive - my guess is that we will now always be Acura drivers.

Chevy Convert
By Smiling all the way on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We went to test drive the TL-S and ended up driving everything on the lot! I was a hardcore GM fan, but nothing on the Generals lot could hold a candle (at this price). I have three children and wanted something with the room to support the 5 of us on long trips. I wanted comfort and conveinance, and I wanted an overall enjoyable drive/ride. The RL delivers on all counts. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever driven. I still can't believe I own it! The more I drive it the more I like it. I test drove the Lexus, BMW, and Cadilac, the choice was easy. I recomend at least test driving this vehicle!

Best Sedan For The Price
By shark59 on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

An excellent car for the money. Fun to drive, solid and reliable. Effective temperature controls, functional gauges and switches. Very happy all around except the gas milage should be better.

My 2nd RL.
By ajaye on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second RL. The first one, a 97, I put 90,000 miles and the only repairs were two brake lights. This one is starting off the same.

Par None
By Merrittk on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I enjoy driving the Acura 3.5 RL. It provides the comfortable drive that I have been looking for in a luxury car that doesn't have a luxury price tag. I believe the engine to be the most reliabe i nthe industry. QUALITY par none. The major drwaback in this vehicle that I find is the fuel economy which. The vehice sems to absorb fuel like no other car that I've owned.

Solid ride
By mikerob on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Newsflash....A CAR IS NOT AN INVESTMENT! This car is by far the best value for the money. Have driven S-type Jag, GS, A6 and Q45. Nice cars but I will be forever be a Acura owner because they include virtually all options(minus nav)in the price of the car. Very nice! I drive mostly in town so I have no need for a V8. Anyone with any common sense should see why this is a car worth looking at.

Luxury ride with super GPS navigation
By MR on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

One of the best luxury car values in its class since just about every option comes standard. I was able to negotiate with the dealer just slightly over the invoice price. Additionaly the less than 1% interest rate or money factor offered by American Honda on the lease at that time lowered the payments. Prior to buying the RL I drove the 3.2 TL-S which had lots of power but lacked refinement. I didn't care for the cheap looking wood, silver instrument panel and poor handling which suprisingly had a worse turning radius than the larger RL whose radius is very good. I Would definitely recommend test driving the RL against the more expensive competition.