2002 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:
Excellent Luxury Value
By Andy on 01/04/10 17:24 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 02 RL used with 36,000 miles and now have over 140,000. No issues except for regular maintenance. Have seen others with over 200,000 miles with no problems. I drive a mix of city and highway and this car is very predictable and secure. Very low cost of ownership. It has a logic layout to the controls. Although not as "sporty" has others in this class, it has one of the best rides out there; smooth and quiet.

No complaints after 7 years
By watjordan on 11/15/09 18:11 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am very satisfied with the car. Only trip to dealerships are for routine maintenance and tire rotations. Car looks great and runs quietly and smoothly.

My third one...
By Mike on 08/14/09 19:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I owned a Legend, then a 97 RL, and now the 02 RL which I bought in 06 with about 38000 miles on it. It now has 122,000 miles and has been trouble free except for the alarm actuator. It has been maintained according to the manual, mostly by the dealer, whose prices are competitive but whose service is better. He is not competitive on major expenses like timing belt changes. The car is comfortable to ride in, is quiet, and feels safe. It handles most of Ohio's snow and ice as long as the tires are newer. The navigation system is helpful. I use mid-range gas with no problem. (It's what the dealer uses.) I prefer this body style over the 05 and would have replaced this car but for the style.

Acura Luxury Sedan
By Austin TX on 12/16/08 15:23 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned the 2002 Acura RL since June 2001 - 2nd Acura and absolutely the best car purchases we have ever made. The Acura RL is a large performance luxury sedan, and it rides and handles wonderfully. The acceleration is brisk, the handling rock-solid and the build-quality is absolutely first-rate. Routine maintenance is all this car has needed in last 7+ years - still has original disc brakes at 78K miles, and dealer says they have 40% wear left. Based on Acura's reputation and our experience, I expect this car to last another 7+ years before I can justify replacing it. No regrets, no complaints... every one should be so lucky to own a 2002 Acura RL.

Excellent Cruiser
By Z on 10/31/08 12:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It is my second Acura. First 2 dr. legend made to 232K mi without any major hiccups. This one done well till 75k so far. I bought it preowned with 19K 3 years ago. Great highway cruiser, and comfortable one. Build quality - Honda at it's best. Extremely low maintenance car, especially for the large luxury segment. Mileage is still 18 city and 24 highway on premium gas. Brakes lasted 56k mi front and 72kmi rear. Highly recommend!

A good, comfortable car
By BlueJay on 12/09/07 07:18 AM (PST)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed this comfortable car. It always starts and has never conked out on me while driving on the road. I noticed that holding to the speed limit, especially 55 mph the gas mileage approaches 30 mpg. In the winter, around town I expect 20-25 mpg. I drive with a light foot. I didn't think I wanted a sunroof, but have come to enjoy it, even in winter--opening it on a sunny day with the seat heat and feet heat set high. The antilock brakes have saved me from fender benders when I didn't even realize it was slippery. It handles a bit loose, like a boat, not a bullet, but feels very solid and the engine never feels strained.

What a Great Car
By Mike on 01/23/07 19:02 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased my RL used recently. If I would have known what a great car it would have turned out to be I would have bought one sooner.

First Acura, Not the Last
By Buford on 09/25/06 21:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 11/05 and have loved this vehicle since. Test drove 2002 Lexus 300 ES and 2003 Infiniti I35 same day. The RL ride was outstanding, precise, solid, but not harsh. White Pearl finish is outstanding, like new. Interior fit is great. The only nuisance so far is the SRS light comes on periodically and appears related to the driver seatbelt. Easy to reset. I have read that this is a common complaint. Overall, a great, underrated vehicle with outstanding features.

Nightmare
By David Bishop on 03/19/06 08:07 AM (PST)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been in the shop no less than 10 times since I bought it less than 1 year ago. They cant fix it. After being in the shop for 49 the block is being replaced. I knew I wanted the 03 that they had just sold. O well.

Great Quality
By Phx_RL on 09/18/05 23:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent car. We have had this car for a year now. Bought it as a certified vehicle. No issues to speak of. Smooth drive and comfort. Feels more solid and safe to drive vs a Lexus.