Used 2001 Acura RL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura RL Sedan

View reviews for a specific RL model:

Best Luxury
By Gwen Titsworth

2001 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many different luxury cars Lexus, Jag, etc., because I like to try out the different varieties and to say I have driven them, but my Acura has beat them all hands down. I went to buy a Mercedes and was disappointed in the test drive. For the heck of it I tried the Acura RL and bought it. I usually buy a new car every two years but I hated to let this one go. I am planning to buy another one though this year. The car I would buy beyond the Acura is a Bentley Cont. GTS.

Favorite Features

All around best in fast off the line, quick corners, get-up-and-go power in passing. Very comfortable to drive. Effortless and refreshing. Even my husband loves to drive it and it has plenty of leg room and head room for his tall frame.

Suggested Improvements

Complained about having the CD changer in the trunk and no compass, but I have waited long enough that it is now covered.

Style/Value/Smart
By Kevin

2001 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Looks good, drives great, easy on your wallet. What more do you want from a large sedan? As with all Acura models, the features and controls are easy to find and operate. The leather seating is very comfortable and resilient. The Navigation system, although archaic compared to later model Acuras, is simple to operate and precise. Although the fuel economy isn't great, it's very comparable to other sedans in it's class. And besides, for what it lacks in saving you at the pump, it more than makes up for by saving on mechanical breakdowns/repairs. If you're looking for a sharp, comfortable and reliable luxury sedan, the Acura RL should be on your list to look at.

Rock Solid
By topoff

2001 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent car - best car for long trips - quiet and easy to drive. Performance is adequate as is the mileage. Zero repairs other than normal oil changes etc. I do my own work and regular maintenance is easy. Deal visit (1-brake flush) was good - price and service. Special note - Acura paint is great; it just doesn't get rock chips like other cars I own.

Favorite Features

No gimmicks - just solid & reliable. Nice engine - smooth and deliberate. Predictable handling - and resale value is always great. (not selling)

Suggested Improvements

See 2004 TL - more power and 5 speed auto + more exciting styling. (4 speed auto seems very dated.) New RL seems to address issues. Always prefer 2 shift modes in auto -economy and sport. Mauual shift modes waste of time and energy.

I am a very happy owner!
By jamesh

2001 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It's a car with safety in mind. no CD changer in dash to play with while driving! no extra horsepower to encourage you to "drive for fun"! And you can park it on street in NYC,JC,Newark since Acura is not a so- called 'prestige' brandname mostly target by car-thefts :-( And it's priced (both MSRP and dealer discount)much lower than LS430. And I love its slim figure and classic looks, comparing with the most other models that are "big-ass" impression.

Favorite Features

GPS is quick and easy to use ( comparing with BMW's). It is so much helpful for a city guy like me!

Suggested Improvements

Also GPS since it got itself confused near major airports like Newark. Hope the next generation will be able to "learn from previous mistakes, remember my driving routines and self- adjust a route based on speed limit not just simply distance". Am I asking too much here :-)

Excellant buy at used
By mecyl

2001 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Excellant built and solid vehicle. Very reliable car with minimal maintenance. Worth every penny if you buy a used vehicle

Favorite Features

Memory seat with power tilte steering rear heat\cold air outlet

Suggested Improvements

reduce the weight of vehicle to achieve better fuel consumption.