Used 1999 Acura RL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Acura RL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (27 reviews )

Outstanding, Reliable Luxury
By collincolbym

1999 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 1999 Acura RL for 6 years. I bought it used at 158,000 miles. It now has 212,000 miles. It has been very reliable, very comfortable, and is a solid vehicle. Honda engineering with Acura comfort. Definitely worth every penny!

-Great styling. Not too edgy, not too frumpy. -Heated Seats -Virtually bulletproof engine with great acceleration. -High build quality -Very reliable. I drove over 20,000+ miles with an overdue oil change, ABS & TCS light on, the check engine light on, and it ran just as good as it ever did! -Solid. It's just solid! The doors close quietly, the seats are comfortable, nothing seems cheap.

Cons -Requires premium gas (but not ALL the time ;) ) -Not all mechanic shops can work on Acuras. -Not easy to find parts for. Usually have to use eBay or an online parts store. -Manual lumbar on drivers side is awkwardly placed. -6 Disc CD changer is in the trunk.

A Great car!
By BostonBob

1999 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

This was our 2nd CPO Acura vehicle that I paid $24k for with 58k miles. My first was a '94 Legend with 13k miles (paid $24k) and our most recent is a 2005 RL with 50k - paid $24k. See the theme? This '99 has been nearly bullet-proof. It has been frequently mistaken for an S class MB. I love the classic and timeless look of this body style. It is a fantastic hi-way cruiser that loves to cruise at 75 all day long. Smooth and quiet ride. It is conservative with a touch of elegance.

Looks, ride quality and quality.

I can't think of any - possibly a V8 option but that would just raise the price. The 220HP V6 has plenty of power for everyday driving.

Love My '99 RL at 250K+ Miles!
By samantha

1999 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

I've had my RL for a little over three years. Currently, I have a little over 250k miles on it and have never had to replace anything major! Except for when my husband accidently put $20 worth of diesel in it and even then only had to have the fuel system cleaned out. I had an '04 Camry before I got the Acura and even though it's 5 years older, I love the RL way more! I now have two toddlers; the trunk is huge, but with a bulky double stroller there's not room for anything else. I'm looking to buy a new car in about four months and am leaning toward the MDX. I have vowed to stay faithful to Acura, knowing that I'll have a reliable vehicle I can count on and will last me forever!

memory seats, telescoping steering wheel, Bose sound system is awesome, rides wonderfully (longest trip 7hrs), handles well, spacious and looks good!

Not a big fan of the 6-disc changer being in the trunk or the backseat not having the LATCH system, but it IS a '99 model, so that's forgivable.

1999 RL
By John

1999 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

What a great car - A quality Honda product that is good looking and has superior fit and finish. Very nice on any type of road trip. Mileage could be better but not a big deal to me. Found mine used with only 29K on it 4 years ago and it still looks like it is brand new after a good wash/wax and detail.

Vast interior is perfect for a family trip. A quick car for its size. Looks are nice. Wood Grain dash adds a touch of sophistication

Gas Mileage. Radio and Navi seem oddly placed on dash. 6 disc in trunk is not the best set up.

Ultimate pre-owned
By Jeffrey Williams

1999 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

What a great pre-owned vehicle. Paid 12,000 for 1999 with only 48k miles. Looked like it had been stored in a time capsule. It's just like new! After considering and shopping luxury sedans, MBZ, Lexus and BMW, this is without a doubt, the best value out there. All the luxury with ultimate reliability as a bonus.

Interior finish and color. Good combination of materials and color tones.

Less body roll, larger size wheel & tire combo, one touch up windows.