Used 1998 Acura RL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:

Most Helpful|
Simple & dependable
By pzrogers

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have owned my RL for over four years and have been very pleased with its dependability and comfort. Like most cars made by Honda/Acura, it has an understated, timeless style and is very dependable mechanically. Its only performance issue is its limited acceleration ability, which is sufficient for normal driving but not for those days or situations where you prefer a sporty feel. Overall, I would recommend this vehicle and would definitely consider buying another Acura for my next purchase.

Suggested Improvements

More engine power for acceleration!

This why you buy an Acura
By Rod

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Always reliable. Even after ten years, the build quality of this is incredible. Leather, paint, and all interior trim pieces are still in great shape. I have test driven several cars in the last two years and none offer anything new or better quality. When driving this car, there is a tangible perception that you are experiencing engineering at its best.

Favorite Features

ride and engineering

Suggested Improvements

none

Where is the Legend
By LinVA

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I owned both the 1988 and 1991 Acura Legend. I have been nothing but dissapointed with the 98 RL. This year both rear electric window mechanisms broke. The plastic pulley wheel in the door (a $1 part) broke (on both doors within two months of each other). The cost for each $244. You can only replace the entire motor mechanism. The power is lacking in the motor. The noise inside is noticeably louder than both of my previous legends. On the bright side, it is as reliable as the sun rising. One turn of the key and it is ready to get me to work.

Acura RL Special Edition
By GTCC

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in 1998. This has to be one of the reliable cars ever built. Routine maintenance and one window motor replacement is all this car has ever needed. It's very comfortable on long trips and easy to maneuver in the city. Build quality is outstanding. Inside and out it looks like the day it bought it. Acura has earned my loyalty.

Favorite Features

Maintenance free car, gotta love it.

Suggested Improvements

I would have hoped for a little better gas milage but only for an equally reliable engine.

Amazing car
By judes car

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This has got to be my favorite car of all time. It has been a rock for me! As a single girl I need a reliable car that would not break down on me. This car was more than worth the total cost I paid. I have a 98 3.5RL and it has never broken down on me and I drive a ton of miles. I am currently at 325,000 miles and it is still going strong. I have taken good care of it and have had oil changes consistently. I highly recommend one of these cars!

Favorite Features

seat warmers, ease of getting into it without hitting your head, traction control

Suggested Improvements

Would recommend another stereo besides the factory bose system