1998 Acura RL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:
Classy yes, Sporty no
By SFRL on 11/16/04 17:12 PM (PST)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

I owned a Legend before purchasing my '98 RL CPO in 11/02. Very different car. Legend was much sportier, the RL is positively laid back, with a classier ride. This is a large car that likes to cruise on the highway, not hustle through curvy back roads. Durability of Acura interior materials, leather especially, has always amazed me. Mine still looks new. This is great used car value given the high initial depreciation and excellent reliability.

I expected better from Honda
By anaizi1 on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

Several significant flaws: 1- Even with all widows tightly closed, the car is not quiet enough; a great disappointment for me. 2 The car does not move quickly enough nor does it start off with umph. 3- The glove compartment is barely large enough to hold a pair of gloves.

Great used vehicle
By acuhins on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

The car is very nice inside and out. Drives quietly and responsively. Mine has a very nice CD changer conveniently in console. With gas prices and high- test requirement, it can eat some fuel costs. Also, the tank is rather small (14 gallons) limiting the range per tank.

Acura RL Special Edition
By GTCC on 04/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in 1998. This has to be one of the reliable cars ever built. Routine maintenance and one window motor replacement is all this car has ever needed. It's very comfortable on long trips and easy to maneuver in the city. Build quality is outstanding. Inside and out it looks like the day it bought it. Acura has earned my loyalty.

Where is the Legend
By LinVA on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I owned both the 1988 and 1991 Acura Legend. I have been nothing but dissapointed with the 98 RL. This year both rear electric window mechanisms broke. The plastic pulley wheel in the door (a $1 part) broke (on both doors within two months of each other). The cost for each $244. You can only replace the entire motor mechanism. The power is lacking in the motor. The noise inside is noticeably louder than both of my previous legends. On the bright side, it is as reliable as the sun rising. One turn of the key and it is ready to get me to work.

Lease buyback
By Jag on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I bought new in 1998 and comming from Jaguar VDP I was a little bias, but it did not take long for me to appreciate the vehical. The ride is very comfortable and handles very well on bends, I drop a gear and enjoy. It's axceleration is more that adequate to attain highway speeds to allow ease of entry. Have always received compliments especialy from male passengers on the ride and competance the car shows at high speed on the highways. When the lease ended I bought the car for my wife and I still enjoy driving it. A Great Car!

1998 Acura RL
By tmcvickers on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Drive over 20,000 miles a year & this is a great road car. Except for an alternator & some routine brake work, never had any repairs except regular maintenance.

Excellent Head Turner
By Matma01 on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I am very pleased with my RL. Although, I bought it Certified, so far its in excellent condition. I really enjoy driving this car and watching and hearing everyone gloat about it.

Best Sedan - Acura RL
By Mikel3 on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

Purchased for daily commuting (all highway 110 miles RT). Solid and exceptionally reliable over last 6 years. Only standard scheduled maintenance and no breakdowns experienced. Three different Acura dealerships provided service and loaner cars without question - a welcome service from past experiences with american manufactures. Thanks Acura..

Classy and reliable
By Billacura on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

This car has that quiet luxery and quality that makes it easy to live with year after year. Performance is more than sufficient and the transmission is flawless in it smooth shifts up or down. I have the navigator GPS system and will get it again in my next acura, which will be an RL or MDX. Driver's seat is the most confortable I've ever used. And the seating in the back seat is very confortable as well. The guys at work are always wanting to go to lunch in this car, and remarking on how good this car look after 4 years. It's reliable and maintence is reasonable for a luxery car. The paint is superior to anything I've seen.