Used 1998 Acura RL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:

Love my RL
By AM

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I am very picky about vehicles. I have always loved this Accura. I have to trade it in now and hope I can find something that suits me as well!

Favorite Features

Steering wheel controls - especially the radio.

Simple & dependable
By pzrogers

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have owned my RL for over four years and have been very pleased with its dependability and comfort. Like most cars made by Honda/Acura, it has an understated, timeless style and is very dependable mechanically. Its only performance issue is its limited acceleration ability, which is sufficient for normal driving but not for those days or situations where you prefer a sporty feel. Overall, I would recommend this vehicle and would definitely consider buying another Acura for my next purchase.

Suggested Improvements

More engine power for acceleration!

Ok Car
By DaBigDawg

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This car serverd it's purpose for me very well. I was looking for a reliable car, and it was just that. It also gave me much more for my money then any of the european counterparts. If desire or emoition was considered as much as reliabily was, i would've bought a bmw or audi. It's that simple, the car is a rock when considering relability, but can be very boring (cadillackish) on long and/or spirited roads.

Favorite Features

Navigation, heated seats, traction control

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer more aggressive suspension, at least better fuel economy, if you have to sacrifice performance.

Great car
By daddy6

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

Absolutely reliable. Smooth and quiet on the road, OK power. Layout of controls very convenient, esp. sound system controls on steering wheel. Design is very good, my car has been mistaken for Mercedes and Lexus. A tremendous value

Suggested Improvements

Layout of gauges and controls

Excellent Car
By Murray

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I've only had for a year -- purchased used with 60000 miles on it -- mint condition. No problems so far -- runs well in winter and summer (live in cold climate). Very smooth ride -- brakes well -- and handling is surprising for the size. Very nice on highway. Previous car was an Accord -- for the money I get a lot more features -- and the used RL's are not much more money then the V6 Accords for same year. Highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, seating position for driver (I'm 6'4" tall), quiet, air conditioning, solid ride, build quality.

Suggested Improvements

As everyone says it could use more power -- but I like the balance with fuel economy.