Used 1998 Acura RL 3.5 Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:

Great car
By daddy6

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

Absolutely reliable. Smooth and quiet on the road, OK power. Layout of controls very convenient, esp. sound system controls on steering wheel. Design is very good, my car has been mistaken for Mercedes and Lexus. A tremendous value

Layout of gauges and controls

Acura RL Special Edition
By GTCC

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in 1998. This has to be one of the reliable cars ever built. Routine maintenance and one window motor replacement is all this car has ever needed. It's very comfortable on long trips and easy to maneuver in the city. Build quality is outstanding. Inside and out it looks like the day it bought it. Acura has earned my loyalty.

Maintenance free car, gotta love it.

I would have hoped for a little better gas milage but only for an equally reliable engine.

Where is the Legend
By LinVA

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I owned both the 1988 and 1991 Acura Legend. I have been nothing but dissapointed with the 98 RL. This year both rear electric window mechanisms broke. The plastic pulley wheel in the door (a $1 part) broke (on both doors within two months of each other). The cost for each $244. You can only replace the entire motor mechanism. The power is lacking in the motor. The noise inside is noticeably louder than both of my previous legends. On the bright side, it is as reliable as the sun rising. One turn of the key and it is ready to get me to work.

Lease buyback
By Jag

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I bought new in 1998 and comming from Jaguar VDP I was a little bias, but it did not take long for me to appreciate the vehical. The ride is very comfortable and handles very well on bends, I drop a gear and enjoy. It's axceleration is more that adequate to attain highway speeds to allow ease of entry. Have always received compliments especialy from male passengers on the ride and competance the car shows at high speed on the highways. When the lease ended I bought the car for my wife and I still enjoy driving it. A Great Car!

Combination of Handling, comfort and reliability

The Horn note is too timid and the trunk lid does not have a solid sound when being closed.

Excellent Head Turner
By Matma01

1998 Acura RL 3.5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I am very pleased with my RL. Although, I bought it Certified, so far its in excellent condition. I really enjoy driving this car and watching and hearing everyone gloat about it.

There are so many quality features. I wasn't even aware that some of its features were available in 1998. Every week I'm learning something new about my RL. I really enjoy the A/C and music control on the steering wheel.

Seat could be a little more comfortable and the leather wrinkles fast.