1997 Acura RL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:
It just broke down, but I'm not mad - Great Car
By hab2 on 01/16/13 06:47 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

LOL, seriously just had it towed and I was contemplating a new purchase so I jumped on Edmunds to get a trade in value. The car has over 234K miles. You can belive this or not, but the transmission is still smooth, the engine strong, the ride comfortable and get this, no knocks, pings, or things shaking. I drive it and I don't believe it - I said 234K miles. Given the age, and miles its not perfect, dash lights, power windows, nav back light, washer pump, etc. Little things that need reapir. But I tell you - Great Car and it will be a great car for the next person. Hope this helps!

Best Used Car Ever
By tdsouza743 on 07/12/10 15:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car, tongue-in-cheek, 3 years old in 2000. My daughter had just totaled my Honda Accord, I got her her own Sable (for punishment) and bought this Acura 3.5RL for myself. It turned out to be the best used car I've ever had. Cushy ride, great reliability, superb design, plenty of power, decent mileage. Still going very strong in the hands of same daughter. I miss it. My 2004 RL is great, but not as comfortable.

Electric and Plastic quality lacking
By todd on 11/30/09 00:09 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Hoping the previous owners have corrected the majority of electric problems. This car has 122,500 miles and has had the following electric components replaced - Steering column ($1,850); both back window regulators ($600 each); climate control ($1,400); engine temperature sensor ($300); ignition switch ($400). Currently the driver's window is not working, suspect the window regulator (est $500). Plastic pieces that have or are broken - sunglass holder ($190); both vanity mirror covers; passenger seat side panel; glove box restraining line. I read all 25 reviews before receiving this car, a few mentioned the window regulator problem. Well buyer beware of the electric problems of this car.

Good used car to buy
By Good car to buy used on 10/28/09 14:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 70,000 miles. It is a highway car made to go 70 mph. There is a lot of wind noise at higher speed and it shakes a lot going past 85 mph. Pickup is awful. Leather in seats is average (not worth $44,000 new). Back seats are cramped, other car I own (1998 toyota avalon) has roomy rear seats, even with front seats all the way back.

Amazing
By aly on 04/15/08 16:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I love this car, great pickup, awesome handling, smooth quiet ride. Easily the best car I have ever owned.

Best Used Car in the World
By Peg on 10/22/07 13:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Got the car two years ago with 60,000 on it. Two years and 30,000 miles later I am thoroughly pleased with it. I keep up with recommended maintenance, change the oil and replace tires. That's it. No problems. Nothing but smooth performance. And, frankly, this wonderful car cost far less than I would have spent on a Toyota Camry with the same mileage. They can have their Toyotas. I love my RL.

More for your money
By Russ on 01/15/06 04:46 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

After comparing other vehicles in this class, I found I could get more amenities for my money. This car has remarkable power with the 3.5 liter 6 cylinder 210hp engine. I have driven this car up and down the state of California numerous times and fatique was minimal. This year my son recieved his drivers license and the 1997 Acura with 110000 miles on it. I trust it completely with his safety. It is truly a pleasure to drive! The only problem I've had all these years has been the power window motor/linkage on all the windows have broke. They are very expensive to replace. Approximately $140.00 each w/o installation! If you want a fun, reliable, stylish, powerful, comfortable car this is it!

Dependable
By Harriet on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Purchased car with 30K on it. Now have 65K. Only problem was a transmission replaced under warranty and fair brakes. Excellent long distance cruiser with comforable ride, excellent seats amd Bose sound system.

Very satisfied salesman's car
By Masjae on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Bought this, my third Acura, as a sales car. Car is stately, professional in appearance and speaks of good taste and appreciation of quality & value. This car has only let me down once when the battery went after three years, (I bought is used). Very smooth ride and quiet cabin on long road trips. My wife loves to drive it, especially after I installed the cd- changer in the trunk. At 149,000 miles, I would absolutely recommend this car to anyone looking to buy a solid dependable car capable of high mileage, and low long term cost to maintain.

Best lux. sedan for the dough!!!
By A is for Acura on 08/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd Arura Product. (1st=91 Legend),(2nd=93 Legend), both of which I put over 175K miles on. I stepped up to a used (always buy used) 97 RL and am very proud of its ability and style. Wife wants to get a MB ML320, but after reading the reviews it is out of the question. I also looked at the Lexus LS400, but felt this matched it in features, but was much less in price. We currently have 85K on it and absolutely no problems, other than small repair to the ABS.