Used 1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:

It just broke down, but I'm not mad - Great Car
By hab2

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

LOL, seriously just had it towed and I was contemplating a new purchase so I jumped on Edmunds to get a trade in value. The car has over 234K miles. You can belive this or not, but the transmission is still smooth, the engine strong, the ride comfortable and get this, no knocks, pings, or things shaking. I drive it and I don't believe it - I said 234K miles. Given the age, and miles its not perfect, dash lights, power windows, nav back light, washer pump, etc. Little things that need reapir. But I tell you - Great Car and it will be a great car for the next person. Hope this helps!

The car

Best Used Car Ever
By tdsouza743

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car, tongue-in-cheek, 3 years old in 2000. My daughter had just totaled my Honda Accord, I got her her own Sable (for punishment) and bought this Acura 3.5RL for myself. It turned out to be the best used car I've ever had. Cushy ride, great reliability, superb design, plenty of power, decent mileage. Still going very strong in the hands of same daughter. I miss it. My 2004 RL is great, but not as comfortable.

Very reliable, very comfortable, excellent design - dashboard layout, controls, trunk space, even a ski- storage port.

Better gas mileage (mileage is good but not great), use regular gas, not premium. Really not much to improve - this is a great car in so many ways that you don't discover till you own and drive it.

Electric and Plastic quality lacking
By todd

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Hoping the previous owners have corrected the majority of electric problems. This car has 122,500 miles and has had the following electric components replaced - Steering column ($1,850); both back window regulators ($600 each); climate control ($1,400); engine temperature sensor ($300); ignition switch ($400). Currently the driver's window is not working, suspect the window regulator (est $500). Plastic pieces that have or are broken - sunglass holder ($190); both vanity mirror covers; passenger seat side panel; glove box restraining line. I read all 25 reviews before receiving this car, a few mentioned the window regulator problem. Well buyer beware of the electric problems of this car.

It is comfortable and quiet. A real joy to drive.

Believe most issues were addressed in later model years. The quality of the 97's electrical components and plastics are horrendous. Should have had O/D.

Good used car to buy
By Good car to buy used

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 70,000 miles. It is a highway car made to go 70 mph. There is a lot of wind noise at higher speed and it shakes a lot going past 85 mph. Pickup is awful. Leather in seats is average (not worth $44,000 new). Back seats are cramped, other car I own (1998 toyota avalon) has roomy rear seats, even with front seats all the way back.

Bose speakers, adjustable volume on steering wheel!

5 speed transmission. This is NOT a car meant to drive fast- not made for it.

Amazing
By aly

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I love this car, great pickup, awesome handling, smooth quiet ride. Easily the best car I have ever owned.

Heated seats and windows, amazing Bose steero, overall amazing.

None.