1997 Acura RL Consumer Reviews

1997 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:

1997 RL Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
It just broke down, but I'm not mad - Great Car
By hab2

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

LOL, seriously just had it towed and I was contemplating a new purchase so I jumped on Edmunds to get a trade in value. The car has over 234K miles. You can belive this or not, but the transmission is still smooth, the engine strong, the ride comfortable and get this, no knocks, pings, or things shaking. I drive it and I don't believe it - I said 234K miles. Given the age, and miles its not perfect, dash lights, power windows, nav back light, washer pump, etc. Little things that need reapir. But I tell you - Great Car and it will be a great car for the next person. Hope this helps!

Favorite Features

The car

Basically very reliable
By Brad Gardner

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Bought the car at 29,000 miles and now have 144,000 miles. The only problems have been both back window motors, front struts went out at about 85,000, rear struts are also out. Now, i have a broken motor mount somehow to the tune of $725.00. I have really enjoyed the car, though it does have poor cornering manners. Recommend replacing the timing belt as called for in the manual.

Favorite Features

Looks and comfort

Suggested Improvements

suspension upgrades, which they did many years ago i believe

Best Used Car Ever
By tdsouza743

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car, tongue-in-cheek, 3 years old in 2000. My daughter had just totaled my Honda Accord, I got her her own Sable (for punishment) and bought this Acura 3.5RL for myself. It turned out to be the best used car I've ever had. Cushy ride, great reliability, superb design, plenty of power, decent mileage. Still going very strong in the hands of same daughter. I miss it. My 2004 RL is great, but not as comfortable.

Favorite Features

Very reliable, very comfortable, excellent design - dashboard layout, controls, trunk space, even a ski- storage port.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage (mileage is good but not great), use regular gas, not premium. Really not much to improve - this is a great car in so many ways that you don't discover till you own and drive it.

Electric and Plastic quality lacking
By todd

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Hoping the previous owners have corrected the majority of electric problems. This car has 122,500 miles and has had the following electric components replaced - Steering column ($1,850); both back window regulators ($600 each); climate control ($1,400); engine temperature sensor ($300); ignition switch ($400). Currently the driver's window is not working, suspect the window regulator (est $500). Plastic pieces that have or are broken - sunglass holder ($190); both vanity mirror covers; passenger seat side panel; glove box restraining line. I read all 25 reviews before receiving this car, a few mentioned the window regulator problem. Well buyer beware of the electric problems of this car.

Favorite Features

It is comfortable and quiet. A real joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Believe most issues were addressed in later model years. The quality of the 97's electrical components and plastics are horrendous. Should have had O/D.

Good used car to buy
By Good car to buy used

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 70,000 miles. It is a highway car made to go 70 mph. There is a lot of wind noise at higher speed and it shakes a lot going past 85 mph. Pickup is awful. Leather in seats is average (not worth $44,000 new). Back seats are cramped, other car I own (1998 toyota avalon) has roomy rear seats, even with front seats all the way back.

Favorite Features

Bose speakers, adjustable volume on steering wheel!

Suggested Improvements

5 speed transmission. This is NOT a car meant to drive fast- not made for it.

Amazing
By aly

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I love this car, great pickup, awesome handling, smooth quiet ride. Easily the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and windows, amazing Bose steero, overall amazing.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Rock Solid
By Rob

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Bought the car as a lease return. The car has a great ride along with good road feel. Didn't have a repair until it had over 140k. I now have 169K. The leather interior still has no cracks. I use 87 octane gas. No problem. I can't find a good reason to buy another car. The 3.5 RL has lousy resale making it the best value in used car value.

Favorite Features

Good head room. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat that folds down.

Quality Vehicle
By sdem

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

I was running through Edmunds while looking to purchase my wife a new Acura and thought i'd place a review in for my acura. i can't say anything bad about it. i bought it used in 2000 and it's now 10 years old and still looks incredible. friends are baffled on how well it looks, how well it drives and how reliable it is. need i say more.

Favorite Features

Timeless styling and power when i need it.

Suggested Improvements

after owning a car for 7 years its easy to get bored of a car, but i can't say there is anything else they should have done extra

Best Used Car in the World
By Peg

1997 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Got the car two years ago with 60,000 on it. Two years and 30,000 miles later I am thoroughly pleased with it. I keep up with recommended maintenance, change the oil and replace tires. That's it. No problems. Nothing but smooth performance. And, frankly, this wonderful car cost far less than I would have spent on a Toyota Camry with the same mileage. They can have their Toyotas. I love my RL.

Favorite Features

Reliability, fit and finish, low cost when used.

Suggested Improvements

None. Happy camper.

Great Left Brain Car!!!
By Joe

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

This car is very Reliable,comfortable,roomy,and did I mention reliable, but that is pretty much it.The window regulator in the rear driver window went out and some bulbs in the dash, but that's it!The car is built well enough and is Reliable!NO soul stirring emotion though.You could take it home to meet mom but is a lousy date!!!This has got to be the most boring car I have ever owned.The engine is slow off the line and it corners like a hearse,but it's reliable!I recommend it for the reliability but that's it.It screams HONDA and is not worth the original sticker.Good thing I bought it used and only for business.It is a passionless yet reliable car!!!

Favorite Features

Reliability,Smooth Ride, Roomy interior,wood trim is ok.

Suggested Improvements

More passion(cured by current model) Stereo is bad and get some better regulators for the windows.After all this IS supposed to be a luxury car,Oh while your at it remove all the "HONDA" badging in ALL the windows!!!It looks like an Accord that grew old!!!But its Reliable!!!!! =)