1996 Acura RL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:
My first car, drove it 2 years...
By Joel on 09/14/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two years ago as my first vehicle ever. Spent $5000, and it had 150,000 miles on it (or was it 125?). Whatever the case, I now have 172,000 on it, and the AC still works. The man I bought it from had kept it immaculate - even the engine was clean. I ended up with some body damage in the rear, but drove it several thousand more miles. The only problem is in the power steering, now... there's a leak that reached a peak, and I would have to pay $600 to replace the part/ seals. That would certainly be worth it for a car with this much comfort/power and life left in it, if it weren't for the $3000 body damage. Moving on to a Civic for better mpg, and less miles on it

where's the money
By white ghost on 04/02/06 17:14 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Simply the best vehicle I've ever owned. An oil change every thousand miles followed by scheduled maintainece. Never a major problem, but, he's getting old and it's time for something alittle newer.

Best 122k Mileage Car I Have Purchased
By Gentle Ben on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I purchased this 1996 RL with 122K. Took it to McCall Acura to check it out before I purchased it and the car check out like it was new. I haven't had one problem with it since I purchased it unlike my 2001 Infiniti Q45. If you are looking for a nice preowned luxury car then the Acura RL is the only ticket as far as I am concerned.

Hard to believe!!!
By Dan Klug on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I would never consider a car with so many miles on it... however. I drove it home. Looked at the Volvo, C Series Mercedes, Lexus 300. This car is outstanding. The quietest car I have ever drove. Simple yet luxurious styling. excellent seats. I can't believe I waited so long to consider an Acura.

Love it!!!
By bpddaddy on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Hesitantly purchased the car with 99K on it. It's been great ever since. The ABS hum is questionable, however, the ride is unreal at the age. The wife and I fight over who's going to drive it. Repair parts are very high. Spark plugs ($11), Coils ($75), but I can tell the parts last forever.

Took A Chance On High Mileage
By Bongotoo on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I took a serious chance on a 1996 RL with 89,000 miles. I had planned to buy a 1999 RL but the prices were too much. The only problems so far include 1. The AC compressor went out while I was 200 miles from home. I cut the belt off and drove home without a problem. The dealer replaced it. 2. My ABS goes out intermittently. I haven’t had it checked yet but it has me scared. This could be a big one. 3. The Bose CD player didn’t work. I’ve been waiting since December for the dealer to have it repaired. I hope they aren’t jerking me around. In summary, the jury is still out on this car.

Boring but great care
By nicke1 on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

It looks kinda boring to me (mine's a 96) but the performance and reliability are outstanding. I have become an Acura person. Now the car has 95,000 and looks and runs like new. Really, most people think its a year or two old.

Acura RL, excellent choice
By jeffs3000 on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Just an excellent all-around car. My wife drives this car, and she totally loves it. Super smooth, powerful, and fun to drive.

The car to get.
By Mismith on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This car, is a car you can enjoy. Just get one!

One Texan's Opinion
By Mike Russell on 03/01/02 19:36 PM (PST)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I purchased this 1996 3.5RL off a 39-month lease. Buy pre-owned and drive luxury at a reduced cost. Built for comfort - performance seekers look elsewhere. Dependability and reliability is second to none. Power window regulator only problem between 68K and 98K miles. Time now to look for the same model in a pre-owned 1998 or 1999. Best car I've ever owned.