1996 Acura RL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:
follow-up to 8/2002 review
By prophet2 on 03/27/09 23:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

It's 6-1/2 years later and my '96 RL is going strong at 153K miles. Some issues: tach malfunctioning, dealer estimates $1400 repair. Also, $1420 to replace steering rack assembly; $1427 for leaking rear main seal/O-ring; $240 for re-sealing power steering pump; $500 to replace rear tail light assembly. That's $5000, exceeding the car's value. An independent mechanic found nothing wrong with the steering mechanism. Fluid has leaked from a hose to the rack assembly and rear main seal area, making it appear that those items are leaking. His estimate is $675, saving me $2400. The dealer's service department has a reputation of up-selling service jobs.

Just close your eyes and hop into one
By Ed on 03/15/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

No need to repeat others and state that the RL is a great car. Bought mine 6 and half years ago with 89K miles (now the car has 192K). Best ride, very luxurious, other than maintenance (oil change break pads, etc..) close to no issues for the 6years: O2 sensor, intermittent ABS light and rear windows regulators. Best car value, costs nothing to own and enjoy. Will get another one in a heart beat.

My first car, drove it 2 years...
By Joel on 09/14/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two years ago as my first vehicle ever. Spent $5000, and it had 150,000 miles on it (or was it 125?). Whatever the case, I now have 172,000 on it, and the AC still works. The man I bought it from had kept it immaculate - even the engine was clean. I ended up with some body damage in the rear, but drove it several thousand more miles. The only problem is in the power steering, now... there's a leak that reached a peak, and I would have to pay $600 to replace the part/ seals. That would certainly be worth it for a car with this much comfort/power and life left in it, if it weren't for the $3000 body damage. Moving on to a Civic for better mpg, and less miles on it

Great Car
By goemct on 04/15/07 11:51 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

This is my first RL. My last Acura was a 97 CL which I was very pleased with. It was going up on 212,000 mile so it was getting close to the time to get another Acura . The RL with 118k is not even broken in yet, it's a great car like new in and out.

where's the money
By white ghost on 04/02/06 17:14 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Simply the best vehicle I've ever owned. An oil change every thousand miles followed by scheduled maintainece. Never a major problem, but, he's getting old and it's time for something alittle newer.

Acura RL 1996
By cf on 02/06/06 00:09 AM (PST)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

Bought new 1996. Minor problems ie: one headlamp out-not working. Both fixed under warranty 1966. Aside from regular unavoidable replacements ie: tires, timing belt, battery, etc. i have had NO problems. Best car i have ever owned.

Best quality auto I have owned
By J. ANDERSON on 08/24/05 12:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is my first Honda product and I have been very pleased. The car is almost 10 years old and the paint looks awesome. The leather interior is the most durable I have ever had and currently looks to be must younger. These cars do not have the cheap plastic parts that seem to break on most other brands.

Best 122k Mileage Car I Have Purchased
By Gentle Ben on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I purchased this 1996 RL with 122K. Took it to McCall Acura to check it out before I purchased it and the car check out like it was new. I haven't had one problem with it since I purchased it unlike my 2001 Infiniti Q45. If you are looking for a nice preowned luxury car then the Acura RL is the only ticket as far as I am concerned.

Hard to believe!!!
By Dan Klug on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I would never consider a car with so many miles on it... however. I drove it home. Looked at the Volvo, C Series Mercedes, Lexus 300. This car is outstanding. The quietest car I have ever drove. Simple yet luxurious styling. excellent seats. I can't believe I waited so long to consider an Acura.

Love the car
By dianejersey on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan

The Acura RL was my husbands corporate car. After driving a new BMW for 3 years (not the smoothest ride) I was thrilled to purchase the RL from his company. It is the most comfortable interior of any car with the smoothest ride.