Used 1996 Acura RL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:

follow-up to 8/2002 review
By prophet2

1996 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

It's 6-1/2 years later and my '96 RL is going strong at 153K miles. Some issues: tach malfunctioning, dealer estimates $1400 repair. Also, $1420 to replace steering rack assembly; $1427 for leaking rear main seal/O-ring; $240 for re-sealing power steering pump; $500 to replace rear tail light assembly. That's $5000, exceeding the car's value. An independent mechanic found nothing wrong with the steering mechanism. Fluid has leaked from a hose to the rack assembly and rear main seal area, making it appear that those items are leaking. His estimate is $675, saving me $2400. The dealer's service department has a reputation of up-selling service jobs.

Favorite Features

Nice balance of ride, comfort items, build quality, roominess.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power.

Just close your eyes and hop into one
By Ed

1996 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

No need to repeat others and state that the RL is a great car. Bought mine 6 and half years ago with 89K miles (now the car has 192K). Best ride, very luxurious, other than maintenance (oil change break pads, etc..) close to no issues for the 6years: O2 sensor, intermittent ABS light and rear windows regulators. Best car value, costs nothing to own and enjoy. Will get another one in a heart beat.

Favorite Features

Audio system (Bose) Finish, reliability, ride, quality

Suggested Improvements

Could use more horse power at pickup, mpg is low (I average 17mpg)

My first car, drove it 2 years...
By Joel

1996 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two years ago as my first vehicle ever. Spent $5000, and it had 150,000 miles on it (or was it 125?). Whatever the case, I now have 172,000 on it, and the AC still works. The man I bought it from had kept it immaculate - even the engine was clean. I ended up with some body damage in the rear, but drove it several thousand more miles. The only problem is in the power steering, now... there's a leak that reached a peak, and I would have to pay $600 to replace the part/ seals. That would certainly be worth it for a car with this much comfort/power and life left in it, if it weren't for the $3000 body damage. Moving on to a Civic for better mpg, and less miles on it

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats, soft, but supportive, memory seat, good automatic AC that doesn't kill engine, timeless interior design that ages better than similar year Accords, etc. Powerful engine, easily gets you out of tight spots, and rockets you in a way that is surprising for a 2 ton car.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. I drive entirely city in LA now, and get around 16-18mpg. Premium, at $4.98 earlier this summer was painful. TURNING RADIUS. This car became frustrating and undrivable after moving to LA. Designed to fly FORWARD, but floats in the turns. Very, very boat-like turning. Horrid drive.

Great Car
By goemct

1996 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

This is my first RL. My last Acura was a 97 CL which I was very pleased with. It was going up on 212,000 mile so it was getting close to the time to get another Acura . The RL with 118k is not even broken in yet, it's a great car like new in and out.

Favorite Features

The looks with the gold package makes it even better.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better looking wheels.

where's the money
By white ghost

1996 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Simply the best vehicle I've ever owned. An oil change every thousand miles followed by scheduled maintainece. Never a major problem, but, he's getting old and it's time for something alittle newer.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, a steering wheel radio controls.