2014 Acura RDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Acura Rdx - Consumer Reviews

2014 Acura RDX

View reviews for a specific RDX model:

Bad Smell coming out of AC vents
By njjan

2014 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am wondering if anyone else had this issue where there is a chemical smell emitting from the vents. It doesn't happen everyday, could happen 10 times a day and not happen for a week. I am concerned as to what the health aspects are. I also smelled it in a loaner car that happen to be a 2014 RDX also. I happen to be a repeat customer of the Acura and this is my 2nd RDX.

Favorite Features

Service is great at the dealership it drives like a car but is a crossover

Suggested Improvements

adjustments on the front passenger side I never sit there and when I did I felt like I was sitting on the floor

Fast, stylish and feature filled
By hoplover

2014 Acura RDX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our RDX for a year now (17000 miles). The RDX has a stylish exterior and a very comfortable driving position. The base comes with a long list of standard equipment including bluetooth,xm, backup cam, heated leather and sunroof- options packages on most competitors. Upon entry it sets the seat and mirrors to your settings. Pulling out, the strong engine and smooth, fast transmission make you feel confident in any traffic situation. The brakes are fully capable. We have averaged about 23 MPG in mixed driving. The cylinder deactivation takes a little getting used to, but helps in efficiency. The interior features are logically laid out and work flawlessly. Very good purchase.

Favorite Features

The smooth, quiet ride makes this non-fatiguing even on long rides. With XM, bluetooth streaming, CD, and USB ports there is no shortage of entertainment. When the weather is nice, nothing beats the sunroof being included.

Suggested Improvements

The cylinder deactivation causes the vehicle to slow faster than usual when you let off the gas. Wish the dealer installed roof rack wasn't so expensive.

Huge disappointment
By todd_d

2014 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After having nothing but great experiences with our last 5 hondas, the Acura RDX was a complete disappointment. Above 60 on smooth highway, its a pretty good ride. But around town in the sub 45 range, it is horrible! Within 3 months of owning it, we had all of the struts replaced under warranty. This made no difference. I don't understand this since it is basically a CRV chassis and the CRV rides quite a bit better. I thought maybe something was wrong with this particular one, but after reading other peoples experiences on Acurazine, this is the norm. Not just with RDX, but all Acura models at this time. 1st Acura I've owned, and last! Traded it in after 14 months, 12000 miles.

Favorite Features

Power from the V6 is excellent. Gas mileage is very respectable from a vehicle of this size. Dash layout is user friendly and interior is comfortable. Fortunately, it holds its value fairly well as we were able to trade it in for $5k less than what we paid with 12k miles on it.

Suggested Improvements

New suspension is mandatory, ride quality at city speeds is the worst I've ever experienced.... period. While the cylinder deactivation is great at saving fuel, it is not very smooth and power delivery is not very linear. Get rid of those stupid body creases that bisect the car and go over the fenders, very 80's Chrysler like. Honda/Acura designs in general are in serious need of a new direction. For being a fairly innovative company when it comes to tech, their body designs are quite antiquated. I would discourage anyone from buying an Acura of any model at this time.

RDX is a Sport Car in Disguise
By carguyrg

2014 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my 2014 RDX for 4 months now and have driven it for over 11,000 miles. It replaced a 2010 TSX V6. I find the RDX to be everything the TSX was in performance and handles even better. (The V6 TSX was front end heavy.). I have been very pleased with the gas consumption averaging 27.5 MPG with mostly highway driving. Anyone looking for a mid size SUV should take a close look at this car. The base trim matches many of the other models luxury trim which makes it very price competitive with models you wouldn't expect.

Favorite Features

Handling and performance are sports car like. I also love the standard back up camera. The standard features list is enormous.

Suggested Improvements

The only additional features I would like to see standard are a power lift gate and lane departure warnings.

Brake Safety Issue
By mountainbob

2014 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mine and all 2014 models have a front end metal on metal clang going over bumps. Diagnosed by two dealers as brake pad metal backing hitting caliper clips. Acura will not fix, dealer has made a temporary fix. Dealers are frustrated with Acura over issue. Dealer says he does not know if this is a safety issue. Filed complaint with Federal safety commission. Metal on metal will eventually break down. Acura will have to fix the problem if more owners complain to dealers. This is a potential dangerous brake issue. The clang is not something that a so called "high end" SUV should have. Acura calls it, "a Characteristic" of the model. If this is so then lower the price to a low end SUV.

Favorite Features

Handles well in snow and ice. Roomy interior. Gas Mileage is very good.

Suggested Improvements

Replace current use of floating brake pads. Steering column cover between steering wheel and dashboard is mounted on all RDX models in a manner that is not level. Looks very cheap.