Used 2013 Acura RDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Acura RDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RDX model:

Purchased RDX with Tech 2 weeks ago
By endoellen

2013 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Has great pick up and shifts smooth as I would have expected. My previous car was an Acura TL 2006 which I really liked. Voice commands for phone, navigation, audio, etc. is not real user friendly. Too many commands to be used. It was easier to use voice commands with the bluetooth in the TL without navigation. Disappointed in gas mileage. Sticker states estimated 20 city and 28 hwy. My first tank of premium fuel with combined 60 miles of hwy driving and the rest city only got 17.5 mpg. On my 2nd fill up I traveled to the dealer & back today approx. 120 miles hwy & it shows average of 23mpg. Not what I expected. My 2006 TL got 20 city & 28-30 Hwy consistently.

I do like the hard drive that copies and stores your music from your CD's. Disappointed that you can not download music to it from your phone or IPOD. Love the power tailgate, the bronze/brown interior carpet & mats with the parchment interior.

Passenger front seat sits too low & height can not be adjusted:(( needs improvement! Voice commands need to be more user friendly. You have to push talk button 3 different times and say 3 things to accomplish one!! They need to add rear air vents and power plug in for rear passengers. Almost all other vehicles have this standard now and I'm surprised that Acura engineers designed with out these features. Would like to have had back up sensors (warning) with the backup camera.

Great well equipped SUV.
By marky1020

2013 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have had it for 1 week now and so far, so good. Drives exceptionally well and is more car-like then SUV like. Traded in a 10 year old Hyundai Santa Fe which I felt was a bit of a choppy ride. Also had a Jeep Cherokee 15 some odd years ago which was totally truck like based on its 4x4 platform. Of the 3, the Acura feels like driving a car while still having the benefits of riding higher, hauling more when needed and having AWD. Of course you can get AWD on some cars, but my feeling is that once you start driving an SUV, it's hard to go back into a car..not impossible, just hard.

*Very reasonable amount of front and rear space *Like the Tech package (will take some time to learn.. *The ability to open and lock doors and start the engine without taking the key out of my pocket. *Acura has longer power-train coverage then most other autos in this class.

*Although I don't miss not having them, there are several other "tech" items ..lane departure..blind spot, rain sensitive wipers..etc. which other companies offer as options that Acura does not. I like the package they put together and are priced well against other rivals. I'll bet if they put another package together including some of those items, people would buy. Overall, I really don't have any complaints with this after driving for a week. Tech package will take some time to master, but that is to be expected. One manufacture suggestion I have through is to offer Built in Child Booster seats as Volvo does. GREAT feature for people with children. I don't think Volvo has patten.

Potentially great car - if only Acura would add ...
By rgf99

2013 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my RDX (AWD, Base) for 6 months. It is fun to drive and very comfortable. Previously I had a 2001 Toyota Highlander Ltd. I looked at the MDX (too large) and the X3 (too costly) and finally decided on the Base/AWD RDX. Wanted some of the features of the Tech Package but decide not worth $4K for the. I almost did not buy the car because it was missing some key features I expected in Luxury/near luxury-brand SUV

Size is great - perfect for my wife and I plus our 60 Lb Golden Retriever 28 MPG on the road at 70 MPH Smooth ride, fun to drive Sat radio works well, especially on long trips

Base model should have Light in the back Power outlet in back Vent for rear seat Fog lights and HID lights should be standard on base model Power light gate should be standard on base model (std on BMW X3) Real blind spot indicator Adaptive cruise control Distance monitor (parking guide) in both bumpers Dial by voice Better interface to iPhone 5 music (can not get albums) Way to shut off the car and keep the radio/HFL phone working

Love this car - getting better every day
By wdkymys

2013 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Shortlisted the RDX and Q5 (also looked at X3 and XC60). Q5 is a great vehicle but similarly equipped, was $7K more than the RDX. The RDX was so well equipped and drove so well, I figured $7K was too much to pay for the Audi badge. 1000 miles now on my AWD RDX and loving it. Ride is incredibly smooth, quiet and relaxing (better than Q5). The last poster who says it rides rough doesn't own this car and probably hasn't even driven one. If there was a problem here, at least one professional reviewer would have mentioned it. Handling is really impressive too. Q5 is better, but seriously, how often are you driving slalom courses? I've hit 32MPG twice in highway driving vs 27MPG expected.

V6 Ride quality - perfect balance of smooth riding and sharp handling. Active noise cancellation from speakers keeps interior really quiet. Fuel economy - cylinder deactivation on h/w driving is seamless and really effective. Getting over 30MPG when only rated for 27MPG is impressive - especially as this is a 6 cylinder. Interior is really classy and roomy. Soft touch leather, comfortable seats, good front and rear leg room. Seat fold-down lever in trunk is very handy. Stereo is awesome with tech package - best I've ever experienced in a car. Blew the Q5 stereo away. Nav system works well. Hard drive audio storage a bonus. Bluetooth works well for phone calls and music streaming.

Should have rear air vents. So far no issue in winter but will see if this becomes a problem in summer. Passenger seat needs height adjuster, but standard height is perfect for anyone but a midget. Exterior styling is classy, but a little too safe and mainstream. Looks a little too Lexus. I'd like more torque at lower revs (like the Q5) but overall torque is great and delivered smoothly. Changing this would likely impact fuel economy. Voice recognition seems awkward, but I need to learn commands.

Is Acura's Brand Value Declining?
By barbieroads

2013 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you enjoy a ride that resembles rocking about in an earthquake or jerking your way through an amusement park ride then the 2013 Acura RDX will bring you joy; otherwise, steer clear. The ride experience in this small SUV category is disappointingly uncomfortable and requires full attention from the driver in an effort to keep the vehicle in the lane. This ride is as far from relaxing as any ride could possibly get these days. Acura, you've failed me.

I find the fit and finish of the seats to be near superior and wish more vehicles in the 20-30k price range would adapt accordingly. If history proves itself, the engine reliability of Acura automobiles is a very strong and worthwhile selling point and warrants consideration from any driver looking for value, quality, performance and comfort. While this particular RDX is not a winner for me, I suspect other models in the Acura fleet will win me over. (fingers crossed)

Sadly, the tech package and navigation components are mechanically cumbersome and require more finesse than previously tested models. When using bluetooth, several callers stated clarity was an issue on their end of the line. Using the voice command protocol proved futile. As regards fit and finish, the dash, especially on the passengers side, was a bit too plastic-y (cheap). Overall, there are no interior or exterior features that scream "I'm fun to drive" and I suspect that's because this 2013 Acura RDX is anything but fun to drive.