2011 Acura RDX Consumer Review: New 2011 RDX Owner

2011 Acura RDX - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic w/Technology Package)

New 2011 RDX Owner
By rdxfan on

2011 Acura RDX 4dr SUV w/Technology Package (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My comments are coming from a guy who has had a 2004 Saturn Vue (V6) for the last ten years. Very reliable vehicle so far, but not one bringing home awards and has squeaks and rattles all over. Bought a 2011 Certified RDX Tech Package less than two weeks ago. Not many sold, so I consider them the few, the unknown vehicle. Very comfortable seats. Toys galore that I have to concentrate on the road when driving. Just a much different driving experience than what I am used to. Yes, the suspension is much firmer, but taking a corner is fun. I don't slam on the turbo, as I do see how it eats gas. If you don't slam turbo, I just averaged 25.5 mpg according to computer.

Favorite Features

Toys Toys Toys. Bought a couple Audio DVD's just to listen to the stereo in full surround sound. The right size for me and two boys when needed. Steering and suspension is a pleasant surprise. I can see myself driving this car for a long time.

Suggested Improvements

None yet, but only had it a little longer than a week. Have old car as well, so not driving it everyday (though I want to)
By rocagirl34
on 03/27/14 10:30 AM (PDT)

ok, so dumb question, i brought this car a week ago also.... what does slam turbo mean.... i seem to be burning a lot of gas, am i using the turbo not knowing.....

By njrdx
on 04/17/15 12:17 PM (PDT)

There's a boost dial gauge on the dash, it gives a basic idea of when the turbo is kicking in. Keeping that gauge from moving much means better gas mileage. Play with the gas pedal a bit, jam it down when entering a higher speed road from a stop and watch the boost gauge. You'll feel the suv kicking up quickly to speed too. Try the same thing but hit the gas very slowly, boost gauge will barely move and the suv will move like a real slow poke. The boost gauges indicates how much forced air (pressure). the turbo is pushing into the engine. Real turbo true sports cars have a calibrated gauge....the RDX version is laughable but at least there is one!