Used 2011 Acura RDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Acura RDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

2011 Acura RDX SUV

View reviews for a specific RDX model:

Acura RDX
By mercurialrider

2011 Acura RDX SUV Technology Package 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall I am happy with my RDX.
I would at least recommend taking a look at this vehicle if you like Lexus and Acura vehicles.
The handling was surprisingly better than expected.
The staff and ammentites at the dealership were on par or better than many of the more expensive options.
My dealer Phuong Davidson took her time and thoroughly explained my vehicles features and options even after I bought it and was professional and patient.
The rest of the staff and management were also polite and easy going.
I would recommend a visit to Pohanka Acura.

The handling and the exterior.

Just moderate adjustment for leg room in the back.

Not great for a petite woman!
By sylvanpt

2011 Acura RDX SUV SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

When I test drove the car, it seemed perfect for my height--5'.
It is not. Since buying the car and driving it, I'm having difficulty parking it. I can see over the hood, but something about the front end--length?-- causes me parking problems. Seat height limited--needs another 1-2". Seat belt doesn't lower where attached and cuts me across the throat.
Passenger seat does not go up and down; husband needs a high seat to enter the car due to back problems and now has a difficult time getting in.
Would not have bought the car had I been aware. No push button to lower rear door--have to stand on tip-toe to grasp the handle.
Looks more like a station wagon, not SUV.
Want my RAV 4 back!

Colors...metallic silver with taupe interior. Peppy. Key start, not fob.

Consider the petite woman...make seat go a little higher; make seat belt able to go lower; allow passenger seat to move up and down, not just back and forward; provide easy access push button system for lowering rear cargo door; provide better visibility when looking to far left before pulling out into traffic.

rdx with tech package
By thinkbig

2011 Acura RDX SUV Technology Package 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I wanted a small SUV for more utility, ability to go through flooded streets and for a change of lifestyle. Was in a Camry for many years but hated not having no power and feeling like a old man. Printed a bunch of pictures of SUVs and showed it to my girlfriend. She Pick the Acura and I went down and got it. I think it was good decision as it is upscale and I needed to treat myself to something more than another Toyota. Reliable, safe, fun to drive, and that Turbo 4 is nice change of pace. Fuel economy is about what I expected around 18-19 range city. It uses premium fuel. When new the fuel economy was down to 16-17.

Power. I love that I have a turbo 4 with ample power. Backup camera. Its an Acura. Tech package. Reliable. Have not had any repairs. Styling. The front is controversial but its not like you can see the front from the drivers seat. Heated outside mirrows. Auto climate system. Exclusivity. Dont see too many RDX running around.

Seats are a little hard. A remote trunk release is biggest gripe. There is no remote release in the passenger compartment and not on key fab. For the price, they could have built it with power assist tailgate opener. Window door frames sometimes rattle when windows are down. Temp gauge is buried in a menu instead of being in gauge cluster. Not sure why temp gauge is hidden. A little too much plastic interior pieces. Interior trunk cover easily scratched.

Huge bang for the buck
By tpf1979

2011 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

With BMW, Audi, and Mercedes getting all the attention in the luxury crossover market, the RDX is too often overlooked. I have owned my 2011 RDX base (front wheel drive) for 8 months and love it. You get a lot for your $30,000. Stellar acceleration and handling, all the creature comforts, and a premium feel (though not quite as "premium" as the German competitors). If you want to save a few thousand dollars and still get an excellent vehicle- give the RDX a long, hard look before jumping into that BMW.
If you do not live in Alaska or extreme north east, consider front wheel drive for even a better value. I live in NJ and am getting through the winter just fine with my front wheel drive RDX.

The engine! Hard to notice that its a turbo 4 banger. Turbo lag almost non-existent. Puts out big torque (I think more than what Honda says). Could use direct injection though... Handling is far superior than most other crossovers (except BMW). Has an almost sports car feel to it. Steering wheel provides positive feedback. The ride is not too jarring, as others have suggested. Its a perfect balance between sport and comfort. Base model is very well equipped- heated seats, ipod connectivity, backup camera (in the mirror). I love the exterior styling, but gave it 3 stars because its highly subjective- some say it looks like a minvan from the back.

The engine, while a gem, would benefit by the use of direct injection. This would significantly increase fuel economy, lower emissions, and keep things running cooler. When I try to think of a reason why Honda did not use DI, I scratch my head in utter confusion. Also, that transmission....It's a slushbox in the most basic sense. While using the "S" mode allows for your own gear changes- the shifts are slow and sloppy. At the very least, Honda could have put a 6 speed instead of a 5, or better yet- a stick shift! But, considering the price of the RDX, its not a huge surprise. Honda has always been cutting edge with its engines, not so much with its automatic transmissions.

Mostly Up
By farrellg

2011 Acura RDX SUV SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Mostly a good experience, but small cargo capacity, small place for driver's stuff.
Backup camera not good in bright sunlight.
Nice drive with turbo and shifting, but poor mileage + uses high price gas.
With Honda/Acura reliability, it should be very good.
Would make changes in seating.
Hard ride for all.
Guess the MDX might have been a better choice.
Should get better mileage.

gas mileage readout and how many miles to E. Headlights and Fog lights awesome. Fast sports car handling and shifting/automatic. Nice finish, radio,CD sound quality is good.

Use rear sensors not camera - rear visibility is somewhat impaired. More space in shift area of console for always used items. GPS could be more accurate, seats could be more comfortable. Improve mileage and make it less expensive to own. Solid car, but with 4 cyl you hear the engine shifting.