Used 2011 Acura RDX Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Acura Rdx - Consumer Reviews

2011 Acura RDX SUV

View reviews for a specific RDX model:

Huge bang for the buck
By tpf1979

2011 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

With BMW, Audi, and Mercedes getting all the attention in the luxury crossover market, the RDX is too often overlooked. I have owned my 2011 RDX base (front wheel drive) for 8 months and love it. You get a lot for your $30,000. Stellar acceleration and handling, all the creature comforts, and a premium feel (though not quite as "premium" as the German competitors). If you want to save a few thousand dollars and still get an excellent vehicle- give the RDX a long, hard look before jumping into that BMW. If you do not live in Alaska or extreme north east, consider front wheel drive for even a better value. I live in NJ and am getting through the winter just fine with my front wheel drive RDX.

Favorite Features

The engine! Hard to notice that its a turbo 4 banger. Turbo lag almost non-existent. Puts out big torque (I think more than what Honda says). Could use direct injection though... Handling is far superior than most other crossovers (except BMW). Has an almost sports car feel to it. Steering wheel provides positive feedback. The ride is not too jarring, as others have suggested. Its a perfect balance between sport and comfort. Base model is very well equipped- heated seats, ipod connectivity, backup camera (in the mirror). I love the exterior styling, but gave it 3 stars because its highly subjective- some say it looks like a minvan from the back.

Suggested Improvements

The engine, while a gem, would benefit by the use of direct injection. This would significantly increase fuel economy, lower emissions, and keep things running cooler. When I try to think of a reason why Honda did not use DI, I scratch my head in utter confusion. Also, that transmission....It's a slushbox in the most basic sense. While using the "S" mode allows for your own gear changes- the shifts are slow and sloppy. At the very least, Honda could have put a 6 speed instead of a 5, or better yet- a stick shift! But, considering the price of the RDX, its not a huge surprise. Honda has always been cutting edge with its engines, not so much with its automatic transmissions.

2011 RDX FWD Base w/Roof Rack
By drr98

2011 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

With Roof Rack (Installed - $667MSRP) $30,500 - sales price $33705.31 - w/tax, reg, lic, transfer, titling, Ca tire, doc prep & dmv e filing fees... Worked with the two Internet guys at Niello Acura in Sacramento. Both of these men made it so easy. Emailed what I wanted. Got a quote back. A few back and forths, a test drive and only 1 hour of office time. Found setting the c/c and varying gears (3,4,5,4,3...) using s mode is a great way to allow you to varying rpm (for proper break-in) while keeping the same speed while crusing the hiway. We are very happy with the RDX and the great price we got. Can't really review the Reliability when its not even broken in.

Favorite Features

Blue Tooth, Paddle shifters in Sport mode, little body movement/roll cornering, comfy & grippy seats, fairly luxo

Suggested Improvements

Acura Why? 1 - The hand brake has gone missing. What is that thing hitting my left foot when I'm streching my toes? Put it back where it belongs, next to the shifter. (Kind of a big thing) 2 - Hood prop rod vs gas struts. (minor) 3 - Console cover - MDX style uses 2 half lids that open in the center, RDX - 1 full size lid, opening toward the driver, hinge on pass side. When pass goes to hook up the ipod, can't see over the lid without leaning into the drivers space(med) 4 - Steering column won't extend out far enough for me (6'2") to be ergo perfect(minor) 5 - Rubber Shifter cover vs Leather(med) 6 - Back windows don't go completly down(minor) 7 - Needs Auto hatch lift(med)