What a snatch!
By itzsyk on
2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)
It's been 2 great years since I first picked this baby up. The biggest reason for choosing this car, is because the 2.3 liter engine from Honda is only used in the RDX. The small turbo is also very peppy. There's virtually no lag - VTec kicks just under 4k rpm. Unfortunately, the drop in peak power is very noticeable. The ride is stiff, but supple. Just enough to feel confident without suffering back pains. I put regular gas for 1k miles recently, and to my surprise, there was no loss in power. But, there was loss in the stiffness of the steering wheel. Regardless, I advise premium gas. The brakes were the biggest disappointment. They feel like they stop 60-0 in 130-140 ft.
Favorite Features
Instant turbo boost. Smooth transmission and great sport gear ratio. Absolutely love the huge center console - when you open it, it's big, then you open the divider and it doubles in size. SH-AWD came in handy during last year's winter as well. Had to drive a stretch of 50 miles in a blizzard, and the car was able to cruise at 50mph, until the trucks stopped my trekking.
Suggested Improvements
Please just add at least another gear. Honda uses 6 speeds in their other cars, yet they still use the 5 speed in the redesigned RDX. R&D need to step it up. I drive this car around campus 80% of the time and I'm averaging 12 mpg, no joke. I get 200 miles on the full tank during my best weeks. That 17 mpg city seems like a gimmick. On the bright side, I average 26mpg on the hwy.