Used 2009 Acura RDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Acura Rdx - Consumer Reviews

2009 Acura RDX SUV

View reviews for a specific RDX model:

Like an MDX and Accord all in one
By jbriscoe

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I owned a 03 MDX and 07 Accord V6 previously...I wanted to go back to a SUV...just not a large one. The RDX fit the bill for me. I get 22 mpg non highway driving at an avg speed of 28 mph, I drive 66 mi daily round trip to work. The turbo kicks in when needed and the ride inside the cabin is quiet. The road feel can be bumpy on poorly maintained streets and the handling is great on quick turns. If you need more cargo room and a fold down third seat, opt for the MDX and a few less mpg. I'm 5'3 and my husband is 6'1 and we both have plenty of head and leg room.

Favorite Features

I like the large center storage console which can be locked up, the audio package, and the style of the vehicle. 5 star safety test rating. Programmable driver postions. Cup holders that can actually hold two large sized cups side by side.

Suggested Improvements

Keyless remote for the lift gate and keyless ignition would be great added features for Acura to consider.

Comparing the RDX to BMW X3
By jmh12

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I traded my X3 for a used RDX. While the X3 was a good car, it's reliability was waning after 100K. The RDX was a great choice. Reminds me of the X3. Ride is about the same (choppy over rough spots) but handles even better than the X3. Seems roomier and gets a bit better gas mileage. Sure you can get low miles if you keep your foot in the turbo. I'm getting 23 to 27 on the highway and 19 in town. This is the AWD version too. I have an MDX that's been a reliable car. I expect the RDX to follow suit. It's a great car for one who enjoys driving and isn't put off by the tight suspension. Plus it's an Acura.

Favorite Features

Is roomy; handles great; accelarates well; nicely built; good quality; good value

Suggested Improvements

It should be possible to engineer the car for a smoother ride...perhaps a cruise and sports mode that adjusts the suspension.

What a snatch!
By itzsyk

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It's been 2 great years since I first picked this baby up. The biggest reason for choosing this car, is because the 2.3 liter engine from Honda is only used in the RDX. The small turbo is also very peppy. There's virtually no lag - VTec kicks just under 4k rpm. Unfortunately, the drop in peak power is very noticeable. The ride is stiff, but supple. Just enough to feel confident without suffering back pains. I put regular gas for 1k miles recently, and to my surprise, there was no loss in power. But, there was loss in the stiffness of the steering wheel. Regardless, I advise premium gas. The brakes were the biggest disappointment. They feel like they stop 60-0 in 130-140 ft.

Favorite Features

Instant turbo boost. Smooth transmission and great sport gear ratio. Absolutely love the huge center console - when you open it, it's big, then you open the divider and it doubles in size. SH-AWD came in handy during last year's winter as well. Had to drive a stretch of 50 miles in a blizzard, and the car was able to cruise at 50mph, until the trucks stopped my trekking.

Suggested Improvements

Please just add at least another gear. Honda uses 6 speeds in their other cars, yet they still use the 5 speed in the redesigned RDX. R&D need to step it up. I drive this car around campus 80% of the time and I'm averaging 12 mpg, no joke. I get 200 miles on the full tank during my best weeks. That 17 mpg city seems like a gimmick. On the bright side, I average 26mpg on the hwy.

compares to other luxury vehicles
By ronispeech

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We have driven Lexus, BMW, Jeep and Infinity SUV'S and have been most impressed with our Acura RDX!! This SUV handles beautifully and we have only required scheduled maintenance for oil changes. We plan on purchasing/leasing a second RDX this spring.

Favorite Features

Seat design and comfort!!!

Suggested Improvements

Heated steering wheel

Love this car
By Lindsey

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm really enjoying this SUV! I really love the size and room it has on the inside! The only problems that I've had are the speakers, I blew three of them! And I have no idea how! This car is fun to drive and everyone that rides in this car loves it! I looked at many SUV's before purchasing this one! This one was by far the best! Perfect size and not a lot of people have this car! SO you wont have the same car as everyone else!

Favorite Features

great car fun to drive! Great size and love the turbo

Suggested Improvements

Navigation is not great and speaker system could be better! They could of put vents in the backseat!