2009 Acura RDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RDX model:
Like an MDX and Accord all in one
By jbriscoe on 06/30/12 23:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I owned a 03 MDX and 07 Accord V6 previously...I wanted to go back to a SUV...just not a large one. The RDX fit the bill for me. I get 22 mpg non highway driving at an avg speed of 28 mph, I drive 66 mi daily round trip to work. The turbo kicks in when needed and the ride inside the cabin is quiet. The road feel can be bumpy on poorly maintained streets and the handling is great on quick turns. If you need more cargo room and a fold down third seat, opt for the MDX and a few less mpg. I'm 5'3 and my husband is 6'1 and we both have plenty of head and leg room.

Comparing the RDX to BMW X3
By jmh12 on 12/28/11 09:16 AM (PST)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I traded my X3 for a used RDX. While the X3 was a good car, it's reliability was waning after 100K. The RDX was a great choice. Reminds me of the X3. Ride is about the same (choppy over rough spots) but handles even better than the X3. Seems roomier and gets a bit better gas mileage. Sure you can get low miles if you keep your foot in the turbo. I'm getting 23 to 27 on the highway and 19 in town. This is the AWD version too. I have an MDX that's been a reliable car. I expect the RDX to follow suit. It's a great car for one who enjoys driving and isn't put off by the tight suspension. Plus it's an Acura.

What a snatch!
By itzsyk on 12/17/11 00:16 AM (PST)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It's been 2 great years since I first picked this baby up. The biggest reason for choosing this car, is because the 2.3 liter engine from Honda is only used in the RDX. The small turbo is also very peppy. There's virtually no lag - VTec kicks just under 4k rpm. Unfortunately, the drop in peak power is very noticeable. The ride is stiff, but supple. Just enough to feel confident without suffering back pains. I put regular gas for 1k miles recently, and to my surprise, there was no loss in power. But, there was loss in the stiffness of the steering wheel. Regardless, I advise premium gas. The brakes were the biggest disappointment. They feel like they stop 60-0 in 130-140 ft.

compares to other luxury vehicles
By ronispeech on 07/04/11 12:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We have driven Lexus, BMW, Jeep and Infinity SUV'S and have been most impressed with our Acura RDX!! This SUV handles beautifully and we have only required scheduled maintenance for oil changes. We plan on purchasing/leasing a second RDX this spring.

It's almost one year
By giri80 on 03/16/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car as a graduation gift for my self! I already have 25,000 miles on the car drove all across the country. So far the ride is fun. Cabin can be a bit quieter, awesome 4 awd handling it's fun to drive in rain and snow. Fuel economy is excellent on hwy (24) but not good in city (17- 18). Interior materials can be of better material. Plastic used is of low quality. I love the seats though. Climate control, audio, back leg room and cargo space very good. I would suggest this buy over a crv, rav4 or Forester any day.

Worst car I have ever owned
By Priscilla Morris on 12/04/09 06:18 AM (PST)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Rough ride, poor interior quality, way too expensive to be this bad . So sad it is such a sorry ride and quality.

Never Again
By Mark from Sacramento on 10/21/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife got the car and she seems happy with it, but I think the lack of visibility out the back is dangerous. The rear window is very small and then further blocked by the driver's headrest. Visibility out the driver's side is also bad because of the frame between driver and passenger windows. The real problem is the delay in acceleration which is maddening. Delay is usually 1 second but if you really need to pull in front of a car to make an exit you need to know it may the sequence which is engine revs, wait a second, wait a second, and then car accelerates, but not quickly. I can't believe this is supposed to be a premium car. Also high hood blocks forward view a little.

Not overly impressed
By Jack Gantos on 09/09/09 18:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had my RDX for nearly three years on a lease and I will be turning it in and not getting another. The gas mileage is well below what is listed at 17mpg in town. I live in Boston and drive around town and get about 11/12 miles per gallon, and I'm not a lead foot. The Turbo is not as responsive as it should be--there is some lag, but it is not bad when it kicks in. Just not as perfect as the sales people tell you it is. The interior is basic. Visibility is routine. Body design is nice. But the interior trim is just an upgraded version of a Nisson X-Terra. I question if my "leather" seats are really leather. They remind me of the Mercedes leather- like material I had in my Turbo D.

Fun to Drive
By rd on 08/13/09 06:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love this car! I have an Acura MDX too but this thing is fast. The seats are very comfortable, cabin noise is minimal. I do not understand the poor mileage complaint. I have driven the car for last 7000 miles and I have consistently gotten around 22 mpg. Nice leg space in rear seats. Good sound system. Great value for money and without sacrificing the fun part. Fast acceleration when needed. If you are looking into CR-V or RAV4 with all options, please buy this instead. Worth it! Nice ride too. Truly, not bumpy at all. They must have and 'have' softened the suspension since the original 2007 model. Its as good as any other SUV.

A fun, fun, fun sporty little SUV
By accurashopper on 07/09/09 09:05 AM (PDT)

2009 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I absolutely adore this SUV! I drove a mid-size sedan for many years and it did take some time to adjust to the RDX. The tilt down mirror on the passenger side is wonderful when backing. The interior is well laid out with all of the controls within easy reach. The center console is deep - it holds my large purse with room to spare. The front seats are comfortable and there's ample knee space in the rear with the front seats all the way back. Ride is firm - you feel some of the bumps and hear a little road noise, but the fun factor outweighs any of this. Fits my small family perfectly. Represented an excellent value for the money compared w/competition. Currently get 19 mpg city.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Acura RDX in VA is:

$121 per month*