Windshield Washer Fluid
By doc1975 on
2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
Just a warning for everyone, my wife who is six months pregnant was driving the car, the windshield washer fluid froze and she was unable to see the windshield for an hour. It didn't warm up while she was driving. The car is 3 months old. I drive a BMW and this has never happened, not once. We live in Chicago and I was really upset. The dealership didn't provide an explanation, they blamed the washer fluid not the car. There is a fault with the tank and the nozzle. If you live in cold climate, please avoid this purchase. Look into a Toyota or if you can afford it, step up to a German car. You can get good deals on CPO BMW and Mercedes.
Favorite Features
Besides the above comments with the windshield washer fluid. I would avoid this if you drive in cold climate, it should be fine in all other climate. The one warning I offer, make sure you get the tech package or higher. For some reason if you don't get this package the screen that has the nav is still there, it's just a screen that sits there with useless information. It doesn't make any sense. It's obtrusive and ugly to look at if there is no Nav, so just get the Nav. The power is really good, it's very quiet. There is a noise below when you drive in the snow. Voice recognition is pretty decent, seats are comforatable, plenty of room.
Suggested Improvements
Windshield washer fluid nozzle and tank need to be sorted out. This is an extreme danger to drivers driving in cold climate. I am regretting my purchase. I owned two BMW's one is 4 years old and one is new and this never happens. The dealership provided no explanation for this and just told us to change the fluid. If the manufacturer is unable to fix this, it is considered a lemon under the Lemon Law Act. Please consult your attorney.
By doc1975
on 01/31/14 08:19 AM (PST)

I went to the dealer, they flushed out the washer fluid and put in new fluid. It was actually the same brand we had in the car already, Blue Fluid -20F from Home Depot. The service advisor told me that it could be a nozzle problem or tank problem. Since they worked on it, it started working in the front, the rear works sometimes. It seems to be related temperature when we get a deep freeze in Chicago. They told me to watch it for now and see if it happens again. The funny thing is that the advisor told me that it could be the Japanese parts from Honda. When I proceeded to ask if he owned an Acura and had kids, he told me that he bought a Mercedes SUV for his wife and children. Which I thought was a really odd way to promote his product? But everything is working now, I bought -30F washer fluid, I'm getting regular car washes to keep the nozzles clean, not sure what else to do at this point. I gave my wife my car and I'm driving the Acura to make sure it doesn't happen again.

By cotak
on 05/30/14 13:44 PM (PDT)

FYI not all fluid are made equally. I have seen claimed -45 C fluid froze as soon as it hits my windshield in -25 C weather. Switched to a more expensive brand and the problem went away.

By td2013
on 01/28/14 14:27 PM (PST)

Don't know who to blame, but the windshield washer fluid should not frozen, unless there is too much water in it, it should stay as liquid the same as antifreeze coolant in your radiator, you may also check with the dealer if they or manufacturer put a washer fluid that is not suitable for your area, there are different temperature rated fluid such as 32 degree or 0 degree, -20 degree etc, anyway there is nothing related to the car itself.