Handling + Braking + MPG = Great Car
By deannie on
2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
Wow. I expected excellent fuel economy, but I did not expect to regularly exceed the mpg rating. Light throttle at 60-70 mph = 30-32 mpg. This is HYBRID-LIKE fuel economy! Make no mistake, handling and braking are crucial to active safety, and this car has it. It was upsetting, though, to have to opt for the tech pkg in order to get the 19" wheels/lower profile tires which make tech pkg cars handle and brake marginally better than those non-tech-equipped. Short people MUST test-drive before buying. My 5'2" wife BARELY found a suitable driving position. Love the side mirrors reverse-tilt feature, but prefer both mirrors tilt down when in reverse, not just one.
Favorite Features
IDS (leave in sport mostly), MPG, handling, braking, great AWD system, quiet, smooth, and did I already say MPG? Yes I did, but in a world where mpg is so frequently overstated by manufacturers, it's worth mentioning again. The SH-AWD is OUTSTANDING and certainly contributes to better braking and better handling (that means safer) than fwd models. I will never buy a car without AWD. The marginal mpg loss combined with $2000 cost is nothing when considering safety. Passive safety features - crash structure, knee-airbag and turn-signal mirrors. Love the hidden cargo space in the hatch area. Nice thick steering wheel. Ample storage areas. Thumb-wheel controls on the steering wheel.
Suggested Improvements
The better wheel/tire pkg (19" lower profile tires) should be a stand-alone option for ALL trim levels. I question the extremely limited paint color choices and absence of leather colors in the tan to brown range (the most attractive leather colors). We SETTLED on parchment (w/eucalyptus as a close 2nd). I hate having to settle for anything on such a pricey car. The upgraded stereo in the tech pkg doesn't seem to fit the bill as an upgrade. I had hoped for more. My son plugged in his Ipod shuffle - didn't work (still trying to figure this out). Fewer touchscreen taps to navigate through menus. More buttons (but not as many as in the previous model) and less touchscreen please.
By deannie
on 10/16/13 20:15 PM (PDT)

I'm commenting on my own review. Just an update: Edmunds found the MDX won a comparo w/Infiniti JX35/Q60 and Lexus RX350. The only significant weak spot they found (IMO) was with braking distance (nothing to casually disregard) and some aspects of MDX handling. They blamed the tires (Michelin Touring HP I think). I found that MDX's come with either the Michelins or with Continentals. The model I purchased has the Continentals. I've had no problems with them, and looked up both tires at The Tire Rack website. Tire Rack reviers rate the Continentals higher than the Michelins - just an FYI while you're shopping for your MDX. BTW, I have the Mich Tour HP's on my Infiniti FX, and while they are very quiet and have great tread life, they have marginally poorer braking/handling than the tires they replaced.