Great value and decent features
By sebring95 on
2012 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
We've had this for a little over a year and 30k miles. It was really no more expensive than a loaded Honda/Ford/GM SUV. Normally I wouldn't buy a "luxury" brand for our family hauler given the 25k-30k miles per year we drive, but operating costs on an Acura are a fraction of the Euro brands. Depreciation also appears to be significantly more favorable. Transmission is relatively lazy and you have to keep after it to capitalize on the 300hp. Backup camera is terrible at night. Gas mileage is as expected...averaging 19.5 and 21-22 on long trips at 75mph. Unless you're comparing it to something significantly more expensive or smaller, this is a great overall vehicle.
Favorite Features
Nice combination of comfort, sport, and utility. SH-AWD keeps the car stable in all circumstances. Controls are quite easy to adapt to and even my non-technical wife has no complaints. I jump in/out of many vehicles regularly and everything feels intuitive with the MDX. Navigation allows you to input and make changes while driving.
Suggested Improvements
Since the '14 MDX is all new there's not much to add here. I've driven the new model and while some of it is a nice improvement there are many things I dislike such as the more car-like stance, smaller dimensions, difficult controls. We may keep this one a long while. So far not issues at all. If I could change the '12 I'd like it to be a little longer, better mpg, more steering feel, and better shifting transmission.