2012 Acura MDX Consumer Review: Best all around SUV

2012 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Review

Best all around SUV
By thomatl on

2012 Acura MDX Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We shopped Audi Q5, BMW X3, Volvo XC60, and Infiniti FX35. MDX was an afterthought after a disappointing drive in an RDX (not a bad vehicle but lacks features and feels like a CR-V with lipstick). We preferred the European vehicles' driving feel, but the MDX Advance offered more of the features we wanted, especially the safety features such as collision mitigation. Our prior experience with Acura (CL, TL, TSX) sealed the deal.

Collision mitigation; blind spot monitor; adaptive cruise; ventilated seats; rear camera; power hatch; power memory steering wheel; umber interior color.

Add front and rear parking sensors with an illustration of distance on the nav screen. Most MDX competitors offer this feature. I got the dealer-installed rear sensors, but front sensors were not offered. Improve the fuel economy. Despite my driving rather gently, my MDX does not achieve the 16/21 rating. Improve interior materials, especially the plastic imitation wood. Include remote start that is integrated to the vehicle fob. The dealer accessory requires a separate fob.
By nefariousnigel
on 08/02/12 13:56 PM (PDT)

I just bought a Crystal Black Pearl/Umber interior advance. I actually was coming out of a 2010 MDX Base. So many nice upgrades with the Advance package. I thought the Audi Q5 drove eerily v similarly to the the MDX but was relatively pint sized. Actually, it should have driven better considering it is a class smaller. Not much value in that SUV. I agree with you regarding the fake wood and abysmal fuel economy but I knew about those issue going in. The only lacking feature that truly bothers me is no keyless entry. That should be mandatory for this price point and is particularly useful with family vehicles. Nevertheless, this truck has an amazing bang for the proverbial buck and the umber interior is gorgeous. We love it so far.