Used 2012 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
My "New" 2012 MDX - 2k miles so far
By jg88 on 04/14/15 11:11 AM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2012 MDX Tech CPO with 30k miles and am pretty darn happy with it. Tested the X5 and X3, the Q5, the ML 350 and the similarly sized Infinity; the MDX was hard to beat for overall driving, quality build and standard features. SH-AWD is in a class of its own for on-the-road traction and performance. Driving during a couple of heavy down pour is a breeze. Surprisingly it has decent ground clearance for logging roads and unimproved two-tracks yet felt lower in driving than the others. Noticed how low in the bonnet the engine sits, must be how Acura lowered it's center of gravity. Lastly, could not believe the deal I struck with Acura vs. the German cars - much better.

Honda disappoints!
By tx_mdx on 12/23/14 03:59 AM (PST)

2012 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

the MDX is not a luxury SUV. Honda, please go and try a german, or even a Lexus and try to learn from them! Noisy on the road at 70mph Poor quality audio Bad ergonomics Steering is too light with no feel. All kinds of rattles after 2 yrs and 26k miles. Mileage: a joke compared to similar size SUV's On the plus side: Engine ok Handling ok Will happily get rid of it when the lease is over. Will return to germans without hesitation.

Caveat Emptor
By gibbsie on 09/18/14 07:50 AM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my 2012 MDX for two full years now (and 25,000 miles) and it's definitely a mixed bag. I like the way it handles and with room for 7 or 5 and lots of gear it's certainly fit the bill of people hauler and long road trip mule, but for $45k, I expected better--better quality and reliability. I have driven the 2015 model and there are some improvements, but there are too many issues with this vehicle to recommend it highly. I plan to sell it and consider other options.

Great reliability fun to drive
By bobrosa on 03/31/14 08:54 AM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Approaching my 2 yr. of ownership with just over 22k. and I still look at it when I park and walk away. Only visit to dealer is for regular maint. Speaking as a mechanic for more then 30 yrs. this vehical is solid, well built, and really rocks in any adverse weather conditions with its SH-awd system. Yeah think Im gonna keep this baby for awhile.

Buyer Beware...
By pwr1 on 01/11/14 06:39 AM (PST)

2012 Acura MDX Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I spent over $50,000 on an SUV that is all talk and no walk. Everything about this vehicle exudes quality and detail - until you try to go up a steep hill like your driveway. WTF. The vehicle shifts up immediately, then slows down almost to a stall, then shifts down hard, goes 20ft then shifts up again. I was embarrassed as hell, and as soon as I can dump it I'm going to. Don't waste your time or money. I'm headed straight toward a real SUV like the new Yukon Denali etc... this was a wast of time and money and reputation on Acura's part. The dealers know about the shift problem, but they won't discuss it with you (I know an out of town dealer srvc rep that confirms this). Angry now.

Great value and decent features
By sebring95 on 12/07/13 06:56 AM (PST)

2012 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We've had this for a little over a year and 30k miles. It was really no more expensive than a loaded Honda/Ford/GM SUV. Normally I wouldn't buy a "luxury" brand for our family hauler given the 25k-30k miles per year we drive, but operating costs on an Acura are a fraction of the Euro brands. Depreciation also appears to be significantly more favorable. Transmission is relatively lazy and you have to keep after it to capitalize on the 300hp. Backup camera is terrible at night. Gas mileage is as expected...averaging 19.5 and 21-22 on long trips at 75mph. Unless you're comparing it to something significantly more expensive or smaller, this is a great overall vehicle.

Great luxury midsize SUV
By mike828 on 08/28/13 13:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX Advance and Entertainment Packages 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After researches on most of the luxury midsize SUVs and driving tests on new Lexus RX350, Mercedes-Benz ML350 and Acura MDX, I decided to go with MDX Elite, mainly based on its performance, comfort, handling, safety features and value. I have no regrets with my purchase of this fantastic crossover since I drive it for almost two years.

Switched from a Volvo xc60 for the sake of comfort
By nelsoncm on 04/23/13 15:46 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I had an awesome 2012 XC60 T6 R type that was a thing of precision and style. Sadly it was also wretchedly uncomfortable.....rock hard seats, rock hard suspsension. I'm a mom with a bad hip and back who loves to drive fast but I just couldn't take it. So I went for my gently used MDX. My husband has a TL that is still running great at 70K, so now we're a two Acura family. I agree that build quality is certainly not up to some of the European standards. But this should be fine for a suburban mommy mobile that might see light off road duty on easy dirt roads on scout campout weekends.

Not Luxury Car Quality
By bayman48 on 04/15/13 22:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Its an ok car, but maybe I set my standards too high, the quality and craftsmanship compared to the germans or to even lexus is sorely lacking. I am downright shocked, I can see carpet staples, the carpeting stops in odd places so it looks cheap, the fake wood is horrible...some hard to tough interior parts. The service is horrible, at two dealer, one makes excuses, I point out issues and he shows me new models that have the same issues...such as a sticking glove box handle, squeaking at the b-pillar, hood plastic cushions that fall off, etc. Outside of the relatively poor build quality and craftsmanship (clearly not built in japan mind you) its an ok car, but acura needs to improve.

Think what do you buy first...
By carguy1972 on 02/18/13 11:19 AM (PST)

2012 Acura MDX Technology and Entertainment Packages 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

People, if you had "germans" and think to buy this car - think first, this car do not have even close value to what it cost. I will go through it: Motor vs tranny - never mach torque to gear, so looks like you have 300hp for nothing. Make it to up/down hill you will see how hard it goes. ergonomics do not exist in this car at all, just start your search for clock, where it is? you will catch yourself - Im still looking ... while driving right? who is watching the road? SHAWD is a joke, torquevectoring more looks like rawing left/rigt, take it on freeway sport mode full gas - everytime gear change stearing wheel jerks. I can go and go about it. New car value ~ 30k top, just good quality buckt