2011 Acura MDX Consumer Review: Good - with minor complaints

2011 Acura MDX - Consumer Review

Good - with minor complaints
By bgf18 on

2011 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

2011 MDX - Tech Package. Decided to buy out our 2011 MDX lease...my wife loves it that much. This car is very comfortable on the road as it is reasonably quiet and seats have excellent support. Visisibility is good for an SUV. Room for luggage is minimal with all three rows being used, very good when only two rows. The SH-AWD works really well, but I would GLADLY give it up for a front-wheel drive version if GAS MILAGE would improve. Fit and finish is good, although I could live without the three square feet of PLASTIC wood on the dash. For a family of three, this is the perfect SUV. Fam of four would be ok, five would be tight. More than five is pointless unless going on short drives.

The power seats and tilt steering wheel. I like this car because the first and second rows have seats that compromise nothing in terms of comfort. The seat bottoms are long enough to support a man's thighs properly. Many three-row SUVs shorten the seat cushions to make more legroom for the third row - ala the Ford Explorer. The trade off is that the MDX's third-row only works for leg-less midgets. ELS stereo - really good imaging and sonic quality. Blows the doors off the Bose system in my G37S as a comp. Engine power is noteworthy as is the handling. The MDX drives more like a car than a truck or SUV. Navigation system visuals are clear and rich in color. No quality issues yet at 24,000.

GAS milage is PATHETIC. 16 city - MAYBE 18.5 on the highway @ 70. If I could have gotten this car without the NAV - I would have (I wanted the ELS sys.). It is really, really bad. In the mid-west it is routinely 3-5 seconds too late for off-ramp directions. I have missed countless exits in the process. Inputting your destination is a crap-shoot. The phone number option is quickest as wading through the NAV menus is frustrating for a tech-savvy man. My wife doesn't even bother. The voice recognition is laughable. COMPLETELY useless. iPod/iPhone integration is average. Third row has zero legroom. Overall - I am not jazzed about the tech integration in the MDX. My Infiniti G37 setup is better.