Best value
By kris2 on
2011 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
Needed a sooner than expected replacement after my 2005 X5 3.0 got totalled. After looking at 2012 X5, 2011 Q7 and 2011 MDX I ended up purchasing the MDX and I am not disappointed. In terms of performance I did not feel it a lot different than the X5. Torque felt low but there is enough power when you need and the brakes feel good. Been getting 17 mpg in mixed driving with 60-70% city using premium. Kids like the third row though the access is difficult like all third row SUVs. Seats are comfortable and provide support. You will get used to the power tailgate and backup camera in no time. Got the roof rails (should have been standard) so it looks like an SUV and I like the look.
Favorite Features
Audio in Tech Package. The connectivity via bluetooth and USB is pretty well done and sound output from both disc and ipod are good. You can actually feel the SH-AWD sending torque to exterior wheel. Handles like my earlier X5 except at parking and slow speed for which the X5 steering felt better. Liked the advance package but at that price point the X5 was looking better. Other than the prestige being a little lower when compared to German luxury brands this is one of the best 7 seat SUVs out there. Provides the best value for money since any similar equipped luxury brand will cost at least $8-10k more with less reliability than an Acura.
Suggested Improvements
The gauges are a little crowded and visibility to them is not that good. Lacks some luxury features like rain sensing wipers, heated steering wheel (which I tend to use a lot living in Chicago) and 4 way lumbar support. Hard Disk cannot store mp3 and will rip only audio CDs. Navigation should be upgraded to use google, was never able to search locations or poi closest to my location. Always ended up searching on my iPhone and entering the address. Not a major issue but the middle seat in second row is inconvenient and the belt comes from the roof instead of the seat. Needs third row Air. In terms of exterior the grill needs some serious redesigning and the side mirrors could be bigger.