Used 2011 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Good - with minor complaints
By bgf18

2011 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

2011 MDX - Tech Package. Decided to buy out our 2011 MDX lease...my wife loves it that much. This car is very comfortable on the road as it is reasonably quiet and seats have excellent support. Visisibility is good for an SUV. Room for luggage is minimal with all three rows being used, very good when only two rows. The SH-AWD works really well, but I would GLADLY give it up for a front-wheel drive version if GAS MILAGE would improve. Fit and finish is good, although I could live without the three square feet of PLASTIC wood on the dash. For a family of three, this is the perfect SUV. Fam of four would be ok, five would be tight. More than five is pointless unless going on short drives.

Favorite Features

The power seats and tilt steering wheel. I like this car because the first and second rows have seats that compromise nothing in terms of comfort. The seat bottoms are long enough to support a man's thighs properly. Many three-row SUVs shorten the seat cushions to make more legroom for the third row - ala the Ford Explorer. The trade off is that the MDX's third-row only works for leg-less midgets. ELS stereo - really good imaging and sonic quality. Blows the doors off the Bose system in my G37S as a comp. Engine power is noteworthy as is the handling. The MDX drives more like a car than a truck or SUV. Navigation system visuals are clear and rich in color. No quality issues yet at 24,000.

Suggested Improvements

GAS milage is PATHETIC. 16 city - MAYBE 18.5 on the highway @ 70. If I could have gotten this car without the NAV - I would have (I wanted the ELS sys.). It is really, really bad. In the mid-west it is routinely 3-5 seconds too late for off-ramp directions. I have missed countless exits in the process. Inputting your destination is a crap-shoot. The phone number option is quickest as wading through the NAV menus is frustrating for a tech-savvy man. My wife doesn't even bother. The voice recognition is laughable. COMPLETELY useless. iPod/iPhone integration is average. Third row has zero legroom. Overall - I am not jazzed about the tech integration in the MDX. My Infiniti G37 setup is better.

2011 Acura MDX
By jack1973

2011 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I had this vehicle for 18 months and recently traded it in due to a couple reasons. - on a combination of city and highway driving I was avg'ing 16 mpg. I understand its an SUV but find this number unacceptable. - The interior in this vehicle is horrrible. Not only is the design bad but the leather is cheap and showed massive wear with only 10,000 miles on the vehicle. The dash is covered in fake wood and there were many rattles in the car. The ride is extremely hard and road noise is prominent. Exterior is really nice but the interior and gas mileage really started to weigh on me. I guess thats what you get when you try to make a Honda a luxury car.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality, Gas mileage, Road Noise

Not a luxury car
By sinew23

2011 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I leased this car last year because it had the lots of leg room and cargo space and overall seem like a good choice. Unfortunately after driving it for a year, I've been disappointed numerous times by the way Acura cut corners to save a buck. It just doesn't feel like a luxury car. It basically feels like a Honda. This car is not nearly worth the $50K price tag it touts. To add insult to injury, the sales team at the dealership was horrible. Do not buy your Acura from Hendrick Acura!!! I'm so disappointed by this car and the service that I'm in the process of transferring my lease. I just can't drive or pay for this car any longer.

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

- No keyless start option - Backup sensor not standard and not included in any package - Interior is all plastic - Entertainment system is very basic and cumbersome - Voice commands are useless - Too many beeping and talking when navigating through screens - Bluetooth doesn't work well

Not worth the hype..
By bala_71

2011 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

First of all, I am surprised that why I am alone in finding lots of minute problems with this SUV. Are people insanely happy about owning a poorly designed SUV? These are not 20K Civics. Having said that, I am not going to argue that this should drive like a Ferrari or Aston Martin. But come on! With in the last 11 months, I had to visit the dealer for vibration issues many times. One issue they fixed by adjusting the suspension system. But now I have a vibration in steering wheel at above 70 mph. The dealer convinced me that that's how these cars drive. I think its due to the factory installed tires. But they won't accept it! I now have a vibration coming from the roof-top too!

Favorite Features

Looks like an upscale SUV. That's about it. If someone says the navigation is the best, they better check their mental health! Its below average in routing and options. Every other luxury SUVs have key-less ignition start, etc, etc...the simulated wooden trim can get scratched just like that! This SUV is for uninformed customers who are happy that they are driving an SUV!

Suggested Improvements

Its hard to maintain a straight track. Taking slight turns makes it go wee bit out of track. Constant noise issues from a 45K car? Someone recommended me to go for road force wheel balancing. Yet to try that for the steering wheel vibration. But, not happy at all for the price I paid.

Another quality Acura product
By jrm1955

2011 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is one of many Acuras I have owned over the past 20 years and I could not be happier with this vehicle. It is roomy, comfortable and provides a level of performance that I was not expecting from a large SUV. The adjustable suspension has proven useful by giving the choice of a comfortable ride or sportier handling. Gas mileage is par for the course in this market segment. Resale value is also strong which was another factor in my choosing this vehicle. Love the sound of that big V6 too when you pull out to pass. Much more entertaining than a Lexus RX350 to drive.

Favorite Features

The layout of the dash and quality of materials and workmanship is impressive. While the number of buttons in the center stack at first seem overwhelming, they are quickly learned and become second nature within a few days of use. I am also impressed with the performance of the motor and transmission as well as the all wheel drive system. A great combination of luxury and performance in a 7 passenger SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Keyless entry and push button start would be a welcome addition.