2010 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Transmission harness didn't even make 75K miles
By 28if on 06/25/14 19:28 PM (PDT)

2010 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

In the shop again for another transmission non warranty covered issue. This time the "D" indicator light starts blinking, no error codes. Dealer says the wiring harness between the engine and tranny needs to be replaced for $2K!!!. No the power train warranty doesn't cover this. Car has just under 75,000 miles on it. Really? The quality is so bad that basic parts can't last 75,000 miles. Putting it on Craigs list as soon as I get it back.

My mom drives a sports car
By buddyguy on 02/28/14 07:11 AM (PST)

2010 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

My mom bought a 2010 MDX used that I drive occasionally. At first I didn't like it, but once I drove it alone and realized how fast this car is, I dig it! The v6 sounds awesome under heavy throttle and the car takes off! The SH-AWD is great in the snow, and the car handles like a dream. Stereo sounds great. Leather seats are very comfortable. Sport mode with the paddle shifters is a lot of fun, almost like a real manual. Now for the not-so-good.. We had to have a new transmission put in at 25k miles. Acura did it for free, but just be warned.after they fixed it we love the car!

Not Impressed
By jccai1 on 08/09/12 15:03 PM (PDT)

2010 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Replaced a Volvo XC90 with the MDX in 2010. We were sold mostly on interior space, price (model year end) and perceived reliability. Two years later, I have to say I'm not impressed. The car is just a chore to drive. The engine has very little low end torque. The ride is busy and floaty at the same time. The steering is loose and vague on center. A lot of road noise makes it into the cabin. And the transmission has slow and sloppy shifts, even after the software upgrade. After reading the horror stories about failed torque converters, now I'm really worried. Since it's the new 6-speed, I had thought Honda had fixed their transmission issues. I guess I was wrong!

MDX transmission issues
By carollyn on 05/27/12 20:04 PM (PDT)

2010 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

My husband and I have a 2010 MDX and it's been in the service dept almost 5 times with serious issues. two of those being transmission problems. It had to have a torque converter with less than 30K miles. It recently needed another tranny software update. Steering and axle issues......Wow. For 50K purchase, we shouldn't have these problems!!! I feel like we need to get RID of this car while it still has a decent resale value. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT!! BUY ONE OF THESE CARS! It's been nothing but a headache for us. We are trading it in tomorrow. Will never buy an acura or honda AGAIN!!! EVER!!!!

MDX torque converter failures
By curious52 on 03/29/12 13:40 PM (PDT)

2010 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

There are many, many MDX owners out there who have experienced torque converter failures over the years from 2002 up to 2010. For newer models there has JUST been a recall, within the last month. New software needs to be installed by the dealer. Be sure to ask if this recall applies to your car. My TC was replaced two months ago in my 2010 vehicle. I find it interesting that only now has Acura accepted the fact that a general problem has existed across many years of the MDX production. This damages my long-time positive feelings about Acura automobiles.

Torque converter issue
By curious52 on 11/13/11 05:37 AM (PST)

2010 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

There is some concern about torque converters in older MDX vehicles, but now this goes forward to the 2010 model. At about 35,000 miles, my vehciles began to hesitate and shudder when it was necessary for the transmission to change gears. I read some Twitter reports which gave me reason to take my car to the dealer. They road tested the car and agreed the torque converter needed to be replaced, covered by the warrenty. They also told me they had replaced converters on four other 2010 MDX vehicles. The job takes about two days as the transmission must be lowered to replace the part. There is noticable difference now. My dealer was excellent in how they handled the matter.

The Best SUV Period!
By tp12string on 07/29/11 19:51 PM (PDT)

2010 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After much research and test drives I selected the MDX. I test drove the X5, Q7, and Grand Cherokee as well as the Mazda CX9 and others. The MDX was overall the better choice....and less expensive than many of the others. After owning it for almost a year and 30K miles I can say that it has met and exceeded my expectations. It is very comfortable; the technology is easy to use and intuitive; the navigation is the best I've seen anywhere. If you are considering an SUV, do yourself a big favor and test drive the MDX. Best vehicle I've ever owned, and I've owned many new cars over the years.

don't expect to carry anything heavy
By saturnoutlook on 06/01/11 10:05 AM (PDT)

2010 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Love this car, but unlike other SUV's I've owned this one is more car than truck. On several occasions I have hauled cargo that the car should have been able to easily handle, approximately 300 - 400 lbs. However, that was not the case, both times the car wondered all over the road, behaving like it was overaloded, definately not what I expected.

Transmission Cycling will cause performance delays
By er405 on 02/24/11 10:46 AM (PST)

2010 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my new 2010 MDX after months of working with Acura Client Services and the Dealer. The MDX's progressive transmission, in my opinion, is poorly designed. Although, the driver is pressing the gas pedal, the MDX will have long delays during gear cycles. This could be dangerous if attempting to make a quck turn in on-coming traffic. You want to go, but the MDX moves very slowly or not at all. Second, the cabin lets in so much air that during the winter, the heat must be set to keep the cabin warm, especially at the feet. Last, the MDX looses lots of horsepower as it cycles through the gears. A sluggish ride at best. For the money, find something else.

Overall satisfied but plenty of room for improvement !!!
By yar7 on 01/23/11 11:48 AM (PST)

After having a bad experience with the dealer who insisted & put a different remote starter because of supposedly Acura's is not reliable and dealing with Acura headquarters who were not responsive to our complaints, I am now content with my 2010 MDX ,7,500 miles on it. There is room for improvement in terms of gas mileage, noise reduction and quality of interior materials.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Acura MDX Suv in VA is:

$123 per month*