2009 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Better than expected gas mileage
By schooldoc on 04/28/09 13:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Sport Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I read these review before I buy so that's why I'm doing this. My first SUV, typically German sports cars. 11,000 miles no problems, gas mileage computer at 65 mph freeway 25-26 mpg, if I were to drive at 80 it would drop to 20-21, so I'm happy. Love sport suspension, in an emergency quick manuever suspension tightened up and I avoided an accident, fun too. Sequoia mtns. Snow was fun an safe handling, lots of power, remember im used to BMW's and Porsche's, no longer trust Mercedes. Surprised I enjoy the elec. Tail gate, love the taupe interior, nav screen big, blu tooth wonderful, computer info good, x-lights great cockpit comfort, luv the front grill etc. Looking to buy another in 2 years.

Best car ever
By sunsky on 04/27/09 12:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Sport, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best car ever.

Transmission problem at 400 miles
By rams on 04/20/09 11:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my MDX 4 months back. After 2 months transmission fluid started leaking, noticed oil marks on my garage floor. Took to dealer - they had to open the whole transmission and check inside. The problem was a faulty "O" ring which was causing the leak. If a $20 part is faulty after 400 miles not sure what to expect from this SUV. The dealer had to remove the whole transmission, unlink it with the engine, opened up everything connected to the engine to get to the faulty O ring. Don't buy this car, for this price there are much better options in the market. I have Lexus SUV as well and it far exceeds Acura from performance and reliability.

Great Bang for the Buck
By Ryki on 04/14/09 14:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd MDX. Great vehicle, reliable, comfortable, quick and fun to drive. Dollar for dollar there is no better SUV on the market today. I have put about 100,000 miles on the 3 MDX's with few if any problems. My only real gripe is that the few problems I have had, have been dealt with poorly. The service departments of the Acura dealers are well below par, in fact they are poor. This is my 4th Acura in 7 years and as much as I love the vehicles, because of the quality of Acura's service, this will probably be my last. Honda get your act together you ain't no Lexus.

Disappointed
By mend on 03/18/09 11:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle is daily driver for my wife and she seems to like the car but this is the roughest riding vehicle I have ever driven. All small bumps and holes in the road are felt in the steering and suspension. Make sure that you drive the vehicle on a long test drive on all conditions of pavement as this was the mistake that I made. Have tried running the vehicle with the bare min. air pressure in the tires but not much helps. Hopefully the suspension will loosen up with time as I try not to ride in or drive this car which is quite a let down.

Fun to drive, joy to own
By AcuraMDX09 on 03/11/09 08:33 AM (PDT)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I tried to convince myself to buy a German SUV. I test drove the X5 (3.0), Audi Q7, and the ML 350. In my opinion none of the German cars come close to touching the MDX in handling, comfort and space. Material could be a touch better in the MDX (the black fiberglass trim looks cheap for example). But there is no way I could justify 8-10K more for any of the German cars. And don't get me started on the RX350 or the CX9.

Nice, but has some flaws
By JAnn on 02/26/09 10:44 AM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving my MDX. The base model has everything you really need, it includes a lot of upgrades that you pay for in other cars. The negatives: Low quality leather, it wears bad. The black plastic trim would be better replaced with wood trim, for a $40,000 vehicle that shouldn't even be a question. I notice a lot of road noise in the cabin. Also, I have the worst time getting my hands free link to recognize certain numbers. Sometimes I will have to say the number 4 like 5 times before it will actually dial the correct number. That is VERY frustrating. Also, for a $40,000 vehicle, it should have an automatic liftgate. This car does have excellent road handling, overall I am happy!

SH SUV
By msam on 02/15/09 16:26 PM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Even though I loved the features of the MDX, I was originally not planning on getting a premium SUV and my preference was the Mazda CX9. I got to test drive both the vehicles in the snow on the same day. I was blown away by the MDX handling in the snow. Compared to the CX9, it was miles ahead. I bought it the same day and have not looked back. I love the features that come standard with the MDX. The SH-AWD system performs great in cornering and I don't have to worry about hitting patches of ice/water. The MDX slows down a bit more than you would expect when removing your leg off the accelerator, which took me a bit getting used to. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.

09 MDX Tech/Ent Review
By JT on 02/01/09 11:05 AM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Upon owning my MDX for 2 months now, I am in some areas very impressed and in some areas let down a little. 15/20 is the advertised fuel economy. I have managed as much as 28 MPG cruising at 58 MPH on the interstate. I have a combined average of 19.8 since new. On a 2500 mile trip I got 23.0. Very impressive. Downs - black interior trim swirls and scratches like crazy. Leather seating looks like it's been sat in for 10 years already. It sags and has permanent indentions. I use Meguiars Leather cleaner/conditioner and it makes them look clean and shiny, but leather still looks worn beyond actual life. Car is strong as heck, does what I want it to, but seats and trim are questions.

Super fun to drive
By gregs on 01/11/09 17:49 PM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

- Mazda CX9 was initially my #1 choice - After test driving CX9, I was disappointed with the driving experience (the ride is very shaky) - I tried the MDX, and was blown away by how it handled in the first 5 mins. The experience was silky smooth, yet at the same time aggressive, assertive and very sporty. - The SH AWD is amazing. During the test drive, the dealer encourage me to take sharp highway on-ramps at 60 mpg - I could feel the outer wheels "pushing" the car away from the turn - the feeling was totally exhilarating - I kiteboard - the adrenaline rush from the SH AWD (when used aggressively) is comparable to what I feel when on water - I would have never imagined that to be possible

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Acura MDX in VA is:

$118 per month*