2009 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Timing belt issues with a 2009 MDX
By Enjay on 12/10/09 11:16 AM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Sport, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My 2009 MDX with 3500+ miles has been taken to dealer 3 times in the last month. Once I had to get it towed to dealership. First time I was told that they was issue with poor quality Timing belt pulley. So timing belt got shredded. They had to replace them both. They took almost week to replace it. Within a day, 2009 MDX developed issue. This time there was an issue with Catalytic converter. They took another week to replace. Again within two days, "Check emission system" came up again. This time I was told they would have to replace another catalytic converter and also sub converters. This is putting a big question mark on Acura products. Quality?

First Time Acura Owner
By cegledi on 12/05/09 19:15 PM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I'm excited to finally own an Acura. It's my first glimpse into the luxury world and am not a least bit disappointed. Wish they beefed up the standard features (back-up sensors, power tail, USB cable, etc.). However, I think the overall value and the performance of that sweet V6 makes me not care about much of the other stuff. So far, so good. Life is good.

One of the best SUV's on the market
By JRS-CSC on 12/03/09 17:21 PM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Sport Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX!!!! I do not know what SUV the other folks are driving, but my experience has been great. The MDX handles like a dream. The stereo is one of the best I have ever heard and I have had no issues to date. The only bad thing is that I am only getting around 18 miles to the gallon on average, 22 highway. The sport package has some of the best looking wheels and a nice leather upgrade. I love my MDX...

New and nice
By fishin8tor on 11/30/09 20:59 PM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Only had the car for two weeks, but really like all the features, especially the way this car customizes everything from the drivers seat, ac, and keyless memory system. Steering is accurate and direct on center, but took some time to get used to as used to drive a Odyssey. Power is soft at first, but comes on strong when you push it. Love the transmission and shifter as it is quick on the shifts and doesn't hesitate like other systems. The SH-AWD is kinda neat, and haven't used it but once in a turn, but it's nice to have and gives great confidence when driving. Mileage on is 20 on trip to bay area, and city seems around 16. So far, so good! I am looking forward to years of driving.

Best out there in its class [for now]
By tastycakes on 11/29/09 22:49 PM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Buying the MDX felt like an arranged marriage, not true love. For cargo storage, vehicle size, functionality, AWD and price compared to competitors, the MDX is great. But driving...well I don't know who said this is a fun drive. 5-spd tranny feels dated and sluggish to accelerate. Feel disconnected from the road more so than other CUVs. Lacks features like keyless entry/ignition, blind spot monitoring. Leather seems cheap compared to all competitors. Fuel economy disappointing at 14 mpg (80% highway) after 3 tanks. Lacks small touches in design - example is doors feel light and flimsy when closed. Chose MDX over CX-9 for the badge but have been feeling regret since purchase.

Questionable reliability
By Sri on 11/25/09 11:21 AM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Sport, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

2009 MDX with less than 4000 miles developed an issue with timing belt and timing belt pulleys. Got it towed to dealer. Dealer told us the front part of engine also got damaged. So they are trying to repair. Filed a complaint with Acura.So far as there was no action from their side as well. I did not pay 46K to get such trouble prone vehicle. People buy acura vehicles because their reliability. It looks like Reliability is getting questionable now.

Great SUV
By Carl R on 11/15/09 14:24 PM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I just came out of an Audi A-8 yet needed a SUV. I normally would not even consider a MDX however my wife bought an Acura RL in April and loved the car; the quality and ride was excellent so I elected to look at the MDX. The ride is excellent and the finish is terrific. I felt the interior was nicer than the Q7. The sound system in the vehicle (with the Tech package) is exceptional and better then in my previous Audi, Jaguar and Lexus. I love driving it!

JUNKWAGON!
By Kim on 11/12/09 00:26 AM (PST)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Well, two transmissions in the first year of ownership should tell you something. Gas mileage is terrible. Never got more than 15mpg. Rattles like it has 100k miles on it. Dealer stinks and is not very knowledgeable. First and last Honda product.

2500 hundred miles - so far so good
By BRV on 10/26/09 08:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have logged just under 2,500 hundred miles since August. W/tech pkg I paid 40k + tax & title. Vehicle handles well on dry and wet roads (no snow in our area yet). It is fairly quiet and very comfortable. Overall great vehicle and best value in the "upscale" SUV class. Beats others in its class for the same money. EPA 15/20. I'm getting 20 to 21 overall in mostly country driving where I live and commute to work. Best feature: performance/handling/comfort combination Worst feature: roof rack wind noise. I removed the cross bars and will just put them back on when needed. Very easy to just unscrew 2 screws per bar. Takes 5 minutes.

Extremely happy with my purchase
By bayarea on 10/20/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my car for a week, so I can't really comment on the reliability. I'll update it later. I originally went out looking to buy a Toyota Highlander, thinking that was the only SUV that was in my price range, but the deals on the MDX have been crazy so I could easily justify the $5 more I spent on the MDX. This car has everything I wanted. The SH-AWD is awesome, the luxurious interior is really comfortable and has a ton of features and tech (I got the tech package). The voice recognition is way better than my BMW I used to have and it drives much more like a sports car than the RX. I ordered all my accessories off of bernardi acura for way cheaper.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Acura MDX in VA is:

$118 per month*