Used 2008 Acura MDX Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Best Handling SUV I Have Ever Driven
By rfcn2

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car the first day of 2008. We owned at that time a 2003 MDX that we sold privately to the first person that came to see it. We now have 45,000 miles on the 2008 MDX. We drove most of the better SUVs that were available in 2008. IMHO this was the best one regardless of price. The only other one that drove about as well as the MDX and felt luxurious was the Buick Enclave. My wife mostly wanted a 3 row vehicle so Lexus was not really considered. The other finalist was the smaller Caddy. To me the MDX is a great handling SUV. It is really fun to drive. Not a Vette, but for a big car this is the cat's meow. Repairs have been needed but better than average.

Favorite Features

Great handling. Beautiful interior. Stops quick. Great sound system. Fast.

Suggested Improvements

Sight line out rear quarter not good. Ugly grille. Earlier style was better and so was vision out rear quarter panel. Brain controlling seats, mirrors, steering wheel motors not reliable. Seat memory not reliable. Bluetooth system for phone not easy to use. Switch to regular gas.

SH-AWD Will Make Everything Better
By marko221

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

During the recent snowstorm we received at Lake Tahoe, our MDX simply blew past everyone installing chains and kept up with the 4x4 rigs with the huge mud/snow tires and lift kits. Even on icy surfaces, we held our traction. The OEM Bridgestones have 5/32" tread left but the power distribution to the fronts, rears, or left or right was incredible! It can be monitored on the computer within the dash. My confidence kept building during our 3-hour commute up the mountain. A hazard warning blipped on and off when I intentionally tried to "drift" the vehicle on an icy patch at the gas station. Note to all: the commercials regarding the SH-AWD are fact!

Favorite Features

SH-AWD

Acura doesn't stand by product
By I'm Dissappointed

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Nice driver, poor quality. When I hit around 30,000 miles I noticed my lower paint chipping badly and starting to get rust on bottom of my mdx. Went to my acura dealer to see if they would remedy the problem. They will not stand by their design or workmanship. On new mdx's they added a plastic strip and plastic flare guard on door. So they know the design was bad but will not fix the problem. My 2nd mdx, also have an rdx, will never buy another Honda product. There are many other nice suv's out there.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

To make modifications to the vehicles affected and fix the problem.

Won't buy it again
By gamerchick

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

After almost 3 months of owning it, I got a leak from the edge of sunglasses holder. I brought it over to the dealer ship, they didn't find anything wrong with it. Soon after, My memory seats are not working at all. It takes lots of pushes to get the seat moved to the right position. I brought it to the dealership again. when they tested it, the button worked fine. so they said they couldn't do anything till it acted up. And of course after I got home, the memory seat didn't work. Long story short, this issue is still not getting fixed yet. I would not buy Acura again.

Favorite Features

the 3rd row seats

Suggested Improvements

electrical issues.

Poor Acura Quality
By babake

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Been having problems with our MDX since the day we bought it. After 5 attempts, the windows still squeak, the wheels vibrate, the radio loses its memory, the seats power setting has problems. Amazing that consumer report keeps on reporting Acura MDX as a top SUV pick. We moved to the Acura from a lexus RX to get a little more sporty feel and have been regretting our decision since. The dealer service people are also very confrontational - do not recommend Hopkins Acura of Redwood City CA. We are going to go trade our MDX for a Lexus.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

improve quality