2008 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Best Handling SUV I Have Ever Driven
By rfcn2 on 11/30/12 11:45 AM (PST)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car the first day of 2008. We owned at that time a 2003 MDX that we sold privately to the first person that came to see it. We now have 45,000 miles on the 2008 MDX. We drove most of the better SUVs that were available in 2008. IMHO this was the best one regardless of price. The only other one that drove about as well as the MDX and felt luxurious was the Buick Enclave. My wife mostly wanted a 3 row vehicle so Lexus was not really considered. The other finalist was the smaller Caddy. To me the MDX is a great handling SUV. It is really fun to drive. Not a Vette, but for a big car this is the cat's meow. Repairs have been needed but better than average.

SH-AWD Will Make Everything Better
By marko221 on 03/01/11 17:23 PM (PST)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

During the recent snowstorm we received at Lake Tahoe, our MDX simply blew past everyone installing chains and kept up with the 4x4 rigs with the huge mud/snow tires and lift kits. Even on icy surfaces, we held our traction. The OEM Bridgestones have 5/32" tread left but the power distribution to the fronts, rears, or left or right was incredible! It can be monitored on the computer within the dash. My confidence kept building during our 3-hour commute up the mountain. A hazard warning blipped on and off when I intentionally tried to "drift" the vehicle on an icy patch at the gas station. Note to all: the commercials regarding the SH-AWD are fact!

Acura doesn't stand by product
By I'm Dissappointed on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Nice driver, poor quality. When I hit around 30,000 miles I noticed my lower paint chipping badly and starting to get rust on bottom of my mdx. Went to my acura dealer to see if they would remedy the problem. They will not stand by their design or workmanship. On new mdx's they added a plastic strip and plastic flare guard on door. So they know the design was bad but will not fix the problem. My 2nd mdx, also have an rdx, will never buy another Honda product. There are many other nice suv's out there.

Won't buy it again
By gamerchick on 06/14/10 01:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

After almost 3 months of owning it, I got a leak from the edge of sunglasses holder. I brought it over to the dealer ship, they didn't find anything wrong with it. Soon after, My memory seats are not working at all. It takes lots of pushes to get the seat moved to the right position. I brought it to the dealership again. when they tested it, the button worked fine. so they said they couldn't do anything till it acted up. And of course after I got home, the memory seat didn't work. Long story short, this issue is still not getting fixed yet. I would not buy Acura again.

Poor Acura Quality
By babake on 05/03/10 17:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Been having problems with our MDX since the day we bought it. After 5 attempts, the windows still squeak, the wheels vibrate, the radio loses its memory, the seats power setting has problems. Amazing that consumer report keeps on reporting Acura MDX as a top SUV pick. We moved to the Acura from a lexus RX to get a little more sporty feel and have been regretting our decision since. The dealer service people are also very confrontational - do not recommend Hopkins Acura of Redwood City CA. We are going to go trade our MDX for a Lexus.

20K Miles - Little Flaws
By Norcal221 on 11/15/09 07:04 AM (PST)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

After 20K miles and 24 mos of owning the base model, still a blast to drive on dry, wet or snowy roads. SH-AWD outperforms my 4wd 08 Tahoe. Had electrical glitches that the dealer had to fix: CD player failed, exterior temp. thermometer failed, sunroof failed. 2nd stage clearcoat not premium-needs to be detailed every 6 mos or so to restore the like-new luster. Forget the 3rd row seating unless you have little kids; no legroom. 2nd row fits 3 adults comfortably. No other problems! Currently averaging 18 mpg & tires starting to fade due to aggressive driving. Worth every penny!

Update after 10 months
By oscarkat3 on 10/21/08 21:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I still love driving this vehicle but the quality is a bit of a let down. There are a few rattles including a loud one from the passenger seat. The radio settings malfunction sporadically. The A/C makes whistling noises that sound like brakes squealing. The dealer finally acknowledged some of the problems but they never adequately addressed all the problems either. These are minor problems but a disappointment because I had a higher expectation of reliability. I still love all the positives about the MDX. I plan on keeping it for a while but I don't know if I will buy an Acura again?

Awesome Vehicle!
By Karigirl on 09/06/08 08:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I leased my new Acura MDX almost a year ago and still love it every time I get in it. My previous car was a 2004 Acura TL and I thought I couldn't find a vehicle I loved more than that until I got the MDX. The handling, the transmission, the power, the comfort, the styling, just about everything! I wish the gas mileage was better but I am lead-footed and I am averaging 17 mpg. When I drive mostly highway, I get closer to 22. We recently bought a second car, an '02 Maxima, and I couldn't wait to get back into the Acura. I forever will be an Acura fan! Best cars on the road, in my opinion (well, at least in my price range-LOL!). Oh, and did I mention, I have the BASE model!

Don't Buy It!
By houston on 07/13/08 18:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in March. I previously owned a Honda with well over 100,000 miles and loved it. So you think you are getting high quality for the money? Wrong! I have had problems since the beginning. There was extreme wind noise which they attributed to a bent windshield. The car started making clicking and grinding noises. That was the defective bushings. I have driven it exactly 16 days and the bushings have evidently gone bad again (bulletin on these). The entire dash is squeaking and they said they will have to tear out the dash to figure it out. There is some metal fluttering and continued noise like the door is open also. Buy anything else on the market and you will be happier.

Solid ride
By cb on 07/10/08 21:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

So far a great purchase. Gas mileage has been better than expected. Ride is smooth, shifts quietly, handles very well, lots of power, brakes are very responsive. Plenty of leg room. Base model is very well-equipped with everything we wanted.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.