Used 2008 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2008 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Best Handling SUV I Have Ever Driven
By rfcn2

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car the first day of 2008. We owned at that time a 2003 MDX that we sold privately to the first person that came to see it. We now have 45,000 miles on the 2008 MDX. We drove most of the better SUVs that were available in 2008. IMHO this was the best one regardless of price. The only other one that drove about as well as the MDX and felt luxurious was the Buick Enclave. My wife mostly wanted a 3 row vehicle so Lexus was not really considered. The other finalist was the smaller Caddy. To me the MDX is a great handling SUV. It is really fun to drive. Not a Vette, but for a big car this is the cat's meow. Repairs have been needed but better than average.

Favorite Features

Great handling. Beautiful interior. Stops quick. Great sound system. Fast.

Suggested Improvements

Sight line out rear quarter not good. Ugly grille. Earlier style was better and so was vision out rear quarter panel. Brain controlling seats, mirrors, steering wheel motors not reliable. Seat memory not reliable. Bluetooth system for phone not easy to use. Switch to regular gas.

Back to lexus
By raindude

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

So i bought my mdx with 80k miles on it dec 2009. The technology, room, power, etc were great. I thought that this was finally e vehicle that i could run to 300k. Not. Turns out the torque converter was going bad at 95k miles. The dealership said that these things happen. I brought car to a local transmission place for a better price. They said their are many many problems with the mdx and pilot transmissions. They recommended a full trans rebuild since it would need one eventually anyhow. Not sure why acura and honda havent corrected this but the problem has been going on for 10 years. Bye bye acura. Bought my lexus instead....

Favorite Features

Inside room with small outside. Technology package. Power.

Suggested Improvements

transmission. Dealership repair costs

SH-AWD Will Make Everything Better
By marko221

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

During the recent snowstorm we received at Lake Tahoe, our MDX simply blew past everyone installing chains and kept up with the 4x4 rigs with the huge mud/snow tires and lift kits. Even on icy surfaces, we held our traction. The OEM Bridgestones have 5/32" tread left but the power distribution to the fronts, rears, or left or right was incredible! It can be monitored on the computer within the dash. My confidence kept building during our 3-hour commute up the mountain. A hazard warning blipped on and off when I intentionally tried to "drift" the vehicle on an icy patch at the gas station. Note to all: the commercials regarding the SH-AWD are fact!

Favorite Features

SH-AWD

Acura doesn't stand by product
By I'm Dissappointed

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Nice driver, poor quality. When I hit around 30,000 miles I noticed my lower paint chipping badly and starting to get rust on bottom of my mdx. Went to my acura dealer to see if they would remedy the problem. They will not stand by their design or workmanship. On new mdx's they added a plastic strip and plastic flare guard on door. So they know the design was bad but will not fix the problem. My 2nd mdx, also have an rdx, will never buy another Honda product. There are many other nice suv's out there.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

To make modifications to the vehicles affected and fix the problem.

Rear end thump/squeak noise
By mac

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I love the handling of this SUV. I had my rear end noise fixed as per TSB 09-002. Problem came back after few months went to the dealer to fixed it again. I hope the parts replaced the second time will last.

Favorite Features

handling

Suggested Improvements

fixed noise issues