2006 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
never again!!!
By mumbless89 on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

comfortable car and roomy but the problems that you get with this $40k car are unreal. Torque converters, transmissions, water leaks, cheap broken plastics, leather seats ripped after 4 years......gaskets around the doors are torn already!! unreal. Never again will i buy another acura product.

Too noisy, never an Acura again
By Rr on 08/04/10 20:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav, Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Typical Honda noise. Cannot have conversation at highway speeds. Engine whistling noise during highway speeds while accelerating. Brake drum rolling noise while backing up and during braking at low speeds. Terrible Bluetooth integration. Only good for incoming calls. Backup camera never good when needed most, too dim and is not useful when backing out from garage.

Nice, reliable, but boring ride
By Alan A on 05/28/10 10:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought car new. Got good deal because new model year was arriving and dealer wanted to unload. Car has been very reliable. Mileage running around 19 on average - and I do a lot of highway. Acceleration not bad at low end. Handling too mushy... feel like is going to roll over when aggressive on a corner. Interior space is adequate, rear seating relatively roomy, but third row seat is a torture chamber for anyone over ten years old. Overall, car has been lackluster and boring. I had a Nissan Murano before this vehicle and that was a much more exciting car to drive. This time I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and, other than the gas mileage, this is one hairy ride!

Very nice but not without headaches
By IgnatiusReilly on 05/17/10 09:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my CPO MDX about a year ago. I drive mostly city/highway mix with a few long road trips here and there. The gas mileage in city driving is weak averaging around 14mpg, nowhere near the 17 mpg it claims. Pure highway driving has produced better results though getting 23.5 and 25 on two long highway trips. The interior is what sold me on the car. I'm 6'4 and this is one of the few cars that afforded me adequate seating room while still enabling an adult to sit behind me. It comfortably fits 5 full size adults. The all weather performance has exceeded my expectations. I was able to drive through 1.5 feet of snow without issue.

Great work horse
By Bill's ToyTruck on 05/01/10 09:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought certified last year-had only 26k on it, due to some "shop time" having door and fender repainted and repaired. Use it as a music gear and trailer hauler, as well as my sole transportation. Great fuel economy (I average 19-20 mpg), even when hauling our 3,000 lb. Hi-Lo trailer. Also very solid build-no rattles. I put the transmission and power steering coolers on when I did the hitch, as Acura advises this. Also added a brake controller for the trailer. Put 9,000 miles on it and it's been great. Looked at new recently, but nothing hit me except the 2010 MDX at 45k. Can't justify banging up a new car that costs that much.

Noise between 35 and 40 mph
By blondie21dj on 03/21/10 19:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am having a shuddering noise between 35 and 40 mph. It is usually when I lift my foot off the gas pedal and then go to accelerate. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't figure out what was wrong and I couldn't get the noise to duplicate. After reading several reviews on here, I figured out that it was the torque converter. I called Acura Client Services and reported the issue. They said they have not had a single person report this issue. Everyone needs to call and report this issue, so they can place a recall on this issue. They have recalls on 2005 and earlier but not 2006 as of yet. It appears to occur between 70k and 90k miles.

Transmission issue
By blondie on 02/24/10 15:41 PM (PST)

2006 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my vehicle in the end of 2007. I have loved my vehicle to date. Recently I started experiencing a shaking, shuddering when I let off the gas and then go to accelerate again. It appears to happen at about 40 mph. I have found out that it means I am going to have to have the torque and transmission replaced. Apparently this is common on the 2006 and earlier MDX. I am not at all happy and am now looking for a new vehicle, since this is a $7000 repair and I have no warranty. Apparently there is a recall on vehicles 2005 and earlier for the converter torque. Very disappointed since I bought this vehicle to keep long term.

Love it
By Florida driver on 02/08/10 19:08 PM (PST)

Love it. Bought used in 09 with 40k miles...lease turn in. Was supposed to be certified but found the Onstar button didn't work. Brought to dealership and they fixed...no problem. Great ride, gets 19mpg on hwy and DVD system with bose speakers is great. Nav can get washed out with sunlight or open sunroof though. Expensive to upgrade to newer version. No other problems to speak of. Loaded the back with work gear and seemed to set the back down a bit.

Don't believe the MPG estimates!
By Leet on 08/29/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

If it were not for the mileage, this would be my favorite SUV (owned Suburban, Tahoe and Jimmy). The vehicle can't meet the minimum mpg rating. We drive this vehicle 50/50 hwy/city and are not getting crazy with the accelerator. It's sad that I sold my perfectly running 03 Suburban for something I was told would get 17- 23 mpg and it only gets 1 mpg better than my 03 Suburban. VERY disappointing...don't believe the salesman!

Awesome Drive - Love it
By Jacklemind on 07/13/09 08:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I recently brought a certified MDX. I love the drive, it's powerful, fun to drive. Gas mileage is not bad, considering it's a luxury offering. The dashboard was not hard to figure out, however, the sound system is not that great, although it has BOSE speakers, it does not deliver the punch. No Aux input (newer cars have it) - bummer. Spacious interior, although 3rd row seating is not for adults - it's more a 6 seater than 7. All other features are great, independent rare AC - love it. Cargo space is not good with 3rd row seats up. Would recommend buying a cargo net, otherwise, things will be all over the cargo area.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.