Used 2006 Acura MDX Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Great work horse
By Bill's ToyTruck

2006 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought certified last year-had only 26k on it, due to some "shop time" having door and fender repainted and repaired. Use it as a music gear and trailer hauler, as well as my sole transportation. Great fuel economy (I average 19-20 mpg), even when hauling our 3,000 lb. Hi-Lo trailer. Also very solid build-no rattles. I put the transmission and power steering coolers on when I did the hitch, as Acura advises this. Also added a brake controller for the trailer. Put 9,000 miles on it and it's been great. Looked at new recently, but nothing hit me except the 2010 MDX at 45k. Can't justify banging up a new car that costs that much.

It's a great size-not too big, yet roomy. Love the certified warranty, XM, driving comfort, my new 19" chrome RDX wheels, fuel economy and the nimble quick turning ability that make parking this a breeze.

Would like to have a stiffer suspension for carrying loads. It's set up a bit soft-geared for comfort.

Noise between 35 and 40 mph
By blondie21dj

2006 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am having a shuddering noise between 35 and 40 mph. It is usually when I lift my foot off the gas pedal and then go to accelerate. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't figure out what was wrong and I couldn't get the noise to duplicate. After reading several reviews on here, I figured out that it was the torque converter. I called Acura Client Services and reported the issue. They said they have not had a single person report this issue. Everyone needs to call and report this issue, so they can place a recall on this issue. They have recalls on 2005 and earlier but not 2006 as of yet. It appears to occur between 70k and 90k miles.

It is a smooth ride, love the outside appearance, technology, 6 disc CD player

Should provide a better warranty

Transmission issue
By blondie

2006 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my vehicle in the end of 2007. I have loved my vehicle to date. Recently I started experiencing a shaking, shuddering when I let off the gas and then go to accelerate again. It appears to happen at about 40 mph. I have found out that it means I am going to have to have the torque and transmission replaced. Apparently this is common on the 2006 and earlier MDX. I am not at all happy and am now looking for a new vehicle, since this is a $7000 repair and I have no warranty. Apparently there is a recall on vehicles 2005 and earlier for the converter torque. Very disappointed since I bought this vehicle to keep long term.

Great Ride
By Realtor

2006 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The fuel economy is really not bad when compared with other SUVs. I average 19 mpg (more city than hwy). The ride is smooth and quiet. I am a realtor and my clients always comment on how comfortable this vehicle is. I enjoy the ride myself and only regret that I did not upgrade to the touring. The base stereo is really lacking and no passenger power seat is embarrasing in a vehicle of this caliber.

Reliability. Comfort, ride, handling, power, xm-radio.

More standard equipment in the base package (this is an Acura, not a Honda). Fuel economy can always be better.

Les' MDX
By Leslie Mays

2006 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Driving experience with my 2006 MDX is hands down "all stares". I drive for a living, so at the time of searching for a new car I became very selective about the vehicle I wanted to purchase, I had a few in mind but, when I ran across the MDX on the highway I fell in love with the looks at first, then when I visited the dealer and saw what it had to offer, I was taken. All my friends love my MDX and for me the joy of knowing where I go the MDX will be there by my side.

All, perfect in size for parking, inside comfort to fit 7 passangers, which I've done a few times. It impressed me to know it still handles as usual even with the load of people, then I had to put them out for crowding me.

Make it more soundproof. I hear the wind blowing as I drive and at the amount of money I'm spending, I shouldn't have passengers telling me to turn the music up to drown out the outside sounds.