Used 2006 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2006 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

never again!!!
By mumbless89

2006 Acura MDX Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

comfortable car and roomy but the problems that you get with this $40k car are unreal. Torque converters, transmissions, water leaks, cheap broken plastics, leather seats ripped after 4 years......gaskets around the doors are torn already!! unreal. Never again will i buy another acura product.

Too noisy, never an Acura again
By Rr

2006 Acura MDX Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav, Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Typical Honda noise. Cannot have conversation at highway speeds. Engine whistling noise during highway speeds while accelerating. Brake drum rolling noise while backing up and during braking at low speeds. Terrible Bluetooth integration. Only good for incoming calls. Backup camera never good when needed most, too dim and is not useful when backing out from garage.

Favorite Features

Good lighting even without xenon. Remote linked memory seats.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce noise.

Nice, reliable, but boring ride
By Alan A

2006 Acura MDX Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought car new. Got good deal because new model year was arriving and dealer wanted to unload. Car has been very reliable. Mileage running around 19 on average - and I do a lot of highway. Acceleration not bad at low end. Handling too mushy... feel like is going to roll over when aggressive on a corner. Interior space is adequate, rear seating relatively roomy, but third row seat is a torture chamber for anyone over ten years old. Overall, car has been lackluster and boring. I had a Nissan Murano before this vehicle and that was a much more exciting car to drive. This time I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and, other than the gas mileage, this is one hairy ride!

Favorite Features

Nav, XM, AWD

Suggested Improvements

Don't know how much was changed when the 2007 model year came out, but hopefully they tuned up the suspension and made the car overall more exciting to drive.

Very nice but not without headaches
By IgnatiusReilly

2006 Acura MDX Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my CPO MDX about a year ago. I drive mostly city/highway mix with a few long road trips here and there. The gas mileage in city driving is weak averaging around 14mpg, nowhere near the 17 mpg it claims. Pure highway driving has produced better results though getting 23.5 and 25 on two long highway trips. The interior is what sold me on the car. I'm 6'4 and this is one of the few cars that afforded me adequate seating room while still enabling an adult to sit behind me. It comfortably fits 5 full size adults. The all weather performance has exceeded my expectations. I was able to drive through 1.5 feet of snow without issue.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior - Good headroom though legroom is a little lacking if you like to slouch when you drive. Handles well in snow. Has acceleration when you need it though you pay a steep price in fuel economy. Stiff suspension gives the feel of driving a sporty car but doesn't handle potholes well.

Suggested Improvements

The engine noise is a bit annoying. Even accelerating moderately it will ride first gear to almost 4k RPM, which is probably why the city gas mileage is terrible. The stock Bose stereo has a terrible buzz in the rear which the dealer has not been able to fix.

Great work horse
By Bill's ToyTruck

2006 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought certified last year-had only 26k on it, due to some "shop time" having door and fender repainted and repaired. Use it as a music gear and trailer hauler, as well as my sole transportation. Great fuel economy (I average 19-20 mpg), even when hauling our 3,000 lb. Hi-Lo trailer. Also very solid build-no rattles. I put the transmission and power steering coolers on when I did the hitch, as Acura advises this. Also added a brake controller for the trailer. Put 9,000 miles on it and it's been great. Looked at new recently, but nothing hit me except the 2010 MDX at 45k. Can't justify banging up a new car that costs that much.

Favorite Features

It's a great size-not too big, yet roomy. Love the certified warranty, XM, driving comfort, my new 19" chrome RDX wheels, fuel economy and the nimble quick turning ability that make parking this a breeze.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to have a stiffer suspension for carrying loads. It's set up a bit soft-geared for comfort.