Used 2005 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Most Helpful|
I Love It!!
By Brandi

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX as much today as the day I bought it. It drives like a dream and is very roomy. Just last weekend we took 6 adults over 3 hours drive away with luggage and everyone had plenty of room. Now if only they would come out with a hybrid with the new models...

Favorite Features

Navigation system is great! From NJ to Maine with only the system to guide us - it is wonderful! A traffic accident ahead? Just plot a new way home! It is always accurate and fun!!

Suggested Improvements

Next model needs to have an optional hybrid. A premium gas vehicle with these gas prices is expensive.

TRANSMISSION
By brannguyen

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this from a used Honda dealership-in Marietta, GA, Aug. 2011. Was really excited to own my Acura SUV w/ 3rd row! Honda had a good reputation w/ reliability except for their transmission issue! I didn't realized it until it was too late! I had it checked out by Ed Voyles Acura-Chamblee. They said it was fine & they even did the transmission chip software recall. They found nothing wrong w/ it! They even took it upon themselves to do the FULL 105k service w/ timing belt w/ out getting my approval or trying to figure out what was wrong w/ the transmission. I was really upset! I even rode w/ them to see why it would vibrate at 50-60mph. Of course it wouldn't make that noise.

Suggested Improvements

They need to fix this problem!!! I spent over $1300 worth of repairs thinking it would last a long time!!! Thanks again HONDA/ACURA! You really wasted my HARD EARN MONEY!!! Will not buy another Honda!!! Had to trade my 2005 MDX in for a new 2012 KIA Sorento!!! It's way better!!! It hasn't disappoint me yet!!!

Outstanding Family Vehicle
By IZJ

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The MDX is overall a truly outstanding family vehicle. Ours has 74,000 miles of intense use and wear. The balance of comfort, utility, passenger space, cargo room, handling and performance is remarkable. Honda is a packaging genius for figuring out how to create so much space in a reasonably compact vehicle. Acceleration is good for a heavy vehicle. Interior room is excellent and the leather seats are comfortable and durable. Many long road trips have been completed with enjoyment and ease. My wife and I have 3 children, aged 4-11. Gas mileage is solid, 16 city, 24-25 pure highway. An early electrical problem was fixed and we have had no other issues. We will keep our MDX for years.

Favorite Features

Comfort, passenger room, cargo room. Driving position and view. Exterior design (roundly criticized as dull, but I think just the right look for this type of vehicle).

Suggested Improvements

Softer touch plastics on the dashboard and center console. Replacement of plastic wood with real wood or metal.

Transmission vibrates/grinds at 35-40 mph
By kpsmith

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At approximately 30,000 miles, upon acceleration, the transmission would vibrate/grind until 45 mph. I have found this to be a common problem on many Acura forums and there are 11 reports of this exact same problem on the National Highway Transportation and Safety (NHTSA) website. The problem seems to be the transmission torque converter.

Favorite Features

NAVI, interior and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Can hardly hear the turn signal. Suggest a warning feature that the turn signal has been on for an extended period of time. Almost impossible to change the rear wiper blade.

someone will sue Acura
By unhappykris

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

second MDX, 7th Honda vehicle, last one had tranny issues, this one had the tranny noise slightly. 2012 I get a letter saying transmission software upgrade, so I took it in. Especially in case I had tranny issues in future they would say that I had not done this upgrade they suggested. The upgrade made the 5th gear come on at 45 MPH instead of the original 40 MPH. This removed the noise, but, the gas consumption is terrible now as 90% of my city driving is below 45 MPH! The should fix bad designs, not make us pay for it. Also, I cannot prove this yet, but another "recall software upgrade" has disabled my Vehicle Stability Assist". This is NOT how a luxury make should do things!

Favorite Features

ride, navigation and entertainment system.

Suggested Improvements

Completely re-do your transmission design! Stop making the software adjust shifting to mask the noise.